Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you leave the kids in the car when you return the shopping cart?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you leave the kids in the car to return the shopping cart?

Options:

yes

no

somtimes

am expecting and havn't been there yet

yes, because they are older children (school age)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 526

View Results

I don't. If I can't find a parking space right next to the cart return I just load all of the groceries in the car, and take DS with me to return the cart. Now with another baby on the way it seems like I am going to be parking in the boondocks to insure I get a space right next to the cart return LOL.

ETA- kids, as in babies, as in not able to get out of the car say under 5.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Replies (251-260):
MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:34 AM
Depends. sometimes i make them get in the car first, and sometimes i let them help me return it. but either way, we're usually right next to the return or across from it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HTLoveMyBoys
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I won't leave my youngest if he is by himself, but if one of my older kids is in the  car I will leave them to return the cart.

Loving Wife to Matt since 06/17/95.
Dedicated Mom to Shane Wyatt (05/29/96),
Brendan Cole (02/13/99), Liam Everett (04/06/01), Hayden Levi (01/10/03) & Riley Chase (12/28/07)

MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM
To the person whose car gets hit by one, yes. And to me who ends up having to move a cart out of the way so i can park.

Quoting SOCO101:

Does it make me a bad person if I don't usually return the carts?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM

So your friend was with in eyeshot of her car.  It was locked and she had someone break in as she watched?  Somehow I am not sure I believe that.

Quoting Mommieplus4:

Never say never. Not saying it would happen, but you can never know. If others want to do that, that is their choice, but I pick my children's safety over inconvience any day. And you explain that to a good friend of mine who had that happen to her. Thankfully her kids were not in the car at the time.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

I seriously doubt if you leave your kids in the car locked for 30secs that something is going to happen.  It is far more likely they will get hit by a car in the parking lot then someone taking your locked vehicle.  Nobody is saying go for a stroll and leave your kids out of sight.     

Quoting Mommieplus4:

I take my kids me every time I return cart (and I return carts all the time). As for leaving kids in my car alone while returning cart. It can take a split second for someone to take the vehicle even when locked

fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Here it would because the only place to put it if it is not in the cart return is in a parking spot.  Or I love on a windy day when the carts will blow and smash in to someones car because someone was too lazy to put it away. 

Quoting SOCO101:

Does it make me a bad person if I don't usually return the carts?

fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I think it also depends where you live too.  I live in a very small town where we still leave the keys in our cars at night and don't lock our houses either.  So honestly I don't worry even for a second that something will happen .  Honestly I don't lock my car when I go into the grocery store either, there truly is just no need.  Actually can't tell you the last time I have locked my car.

needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:12 AM
If I'm not parked within two spaces of one I just leave it somewhere out of the way. I have three kids and I'm not going to haul them all just to return a cart. That's what they pay their employees for. I'm also not leaving them alone in the car. It's just not safe. So yes I'm one of those jerks that leaves my cart wherever. When my kids aren't with me I always return the cart. But my kids safety is more important than a piece of metel.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chemmom83
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM

YES, I HAVE BUT I USAULLY PARK CLOSE TOO THE CART RETURN. WHEN THEY WERE YOUNGER SAY UNABLE TO WALK THEY HELPED ME RETURN THE CART AND THEN GOT INTO THE CAR. BUT I NEVER HAD KIDS VERY CLOSE IN AGE THEY ARE 3 YRS APART.

sam12796
by Sandy on May. 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Nope I too park somewhat near a cart return. Mine are older 4.5 and 3. I unload the groceries bring the cart back and me and the girls hold hands back to the vehicle.

rosaleeandtwo
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM
I don't usually shop at stores with cart corrals, but if I happen to, there is at least one in every lane at the store I go to. So yeah no problem with leaving DD in the car while it gets returned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN