Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Biracial or AA moms COME IN HERE STAT

Posted by   + Show Post

The girls I baby sit are half black, half Peurto rican.

They have long curly hair, the older ones hair is a bit more coarse than the youngers and I think she's self conscious about it.

Anyhow. They have the frizzies in the morning and this morning the older was putting conditioner- then I caught her putting shampoo into her hair.

I washed it out and asked her why - she said her mom sometimes puts the conditioner in her hair after she washes it..

She is upset because her friend has soft good smelling hair and her hair gets "hard".

So I promised her I'd pick her up a nice smelling - vanilla or coconut smelling leave in conditioner or spray she can use to make her hair soft and smell nice, if she promises not to put conditioner or shampoo in her dry hair like that anymore.

Long story short - I need product reccomendations.

Leave in conditioner for biracial hair to help keep it soft - and smells nice.

http://whatthefoolynroo.blogspot.com

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Replies (31-40):
mi4339mi
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM

FooLynRoo
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Quoting momswag:

I'm a white woman,  have fine, straight hair and I use ethnic hair care products on my own. They work better than anything on the market! 

I prefer lusti organics. I use a leave in olive oil conditioner! It smells great and looks even better. Good luck and I think it's Great you're trying to do something to help the young lady!

I only had a boy. So watching teh girls is a great treat for me - and I get paid its like a double bonus.

Their mom is always telling me I do too much but its fun.

I like girly things.

http://whatthefoolynroo.blogspot.com

LizzyPookey1248
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momswag
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Quoting art.diva:

I put regular conditioner in my hair sometimes. Its a tip I got from someone else.

I heard that too - when I had a perm i'd put like a bit on my freshy washed hair and rub it in and leave it

but she doesn't shower in the AM she's putting it on her dry hair and was just making a mess out of it.

I wanted to get her something so she would feel better about her hair, doing her hair etc

She was sneaking it  

I think she and her sister both have gorgeous hair. but they dont.

You say they're mixed with PR and AA and their hair is corse and dry, they probably have that 'good hair' complex. They probably hear from family and friends that they don't have good hair. :( Maybe you can learn a few things here and help her with her hair to give her more confidence! 

RaynesMommy07
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:50 PM
I'm puerto rican and native American. My kids are Jamaican, pr, and NA. They both have long curly hair. I use the cantu Shea butter products. Makes my kids hair (and mine) look fabulous. I'll try to post a pic of my DDs hair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Just brush up in a ponytail or fluff it out to a fro. My kid hair is in those two styles 80% of the time. I will add you on fb so you can see what it looks like.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

well we wet it down at the sink in the AM - Im hesitant to step in and do their hair - because I have no experience. The older one is almost 8 so she's pretty good with her hair... but - then I catch her doing this LOL her hair was all soapy and white in the front.. she looked petrified.

Thank you . Im writing out a list of things to look for.

Quoting art.diva:

It's all but impossible to properly style mixed hair when it's dry, no matter what product you use.

I also reccomend using Kids Organics detanglig lotion. It's wonderful and smells delish!!

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Quoting art.diva:

I put regular conditioner in my hair sometimes. Its a tip I got from someone else.

I heard that too - when I had a perm i'd put like a bit on my freshy washed hair and rub it in and leave it

but she doesn't shower in the AM she's putting it on her dry hair and was just making a mess out of it.

I wanted to get her something so she would feel better about her hair, doing her hair etc

She was sneaking it  

I think she and her sister both have gorgeous hair. but they dont.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaynesMommy07
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I do this to DS hair lol. So I know this isn't much help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaynesMommy07
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Here is DDs hair. It was always so corse without the cantu Shea butter. Now it's so soft and you can actually comb it when it's dry w/o it being frizzy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stpreggers
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM

The one in the middle works better than a leave in conditioner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Della03
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM
http://www.lusterproducts.com/products/pink/pink_smart.html

You can get these products at Walmart and Sally's. I have natural curly hair and when my hair is longer I have to use them because my hair is so course and thick when I try to straighten it. The prices aren't bad either. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)