Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ok so I would like to know from you ladies on here if you have or know someone who has had a baby early.  If so how early was the baby born?  How much did the baby weight? How much has the height and weight change from 3yrs to 10 yrs? If the child has not reach these age what have you notice in any change in weight and weight? 

I'm asking these question because I believe that there may be a link to obesity in children that have been born early. I have asked my doctor about this and he does not have any answers for me. I have also resreach it online. The only thing I keep finding is that stuff that happens when babies are in the whom. 

So I thought that I would go right to the moms and ask if you the mom have seen changes in your kids that cant be explained medical wise.

I will bump just so I can get as much info as I can.  

devilMy give a damn is busted

by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Replies (31-40):
crysjuls
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM
My 7yr old was almost 4weeks premature and hes very skinny and tall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maries_Mom23
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:37 PM

My youngest dd was born at exactly 34 weeks.  At birth, she weighted 4 lbs 4 oz.  She was in NICU for only 5 days before going home.

She is now 5 (as of last month).  She weighs 39 lbs.  

When she gets sick, it gets bad.  She loses weight fast and it's tough to gain it back.  At age 2, she had swine flu with pneumonia and bronchitis.  At her trip to the ER, she weighed 29 lbs.  When she was given a clean bill of health 2 weeks later, she was 19 lbs.  

At the end of this past February, she had a fever for 4 days that lead to bronchitis for a week.  I happened to weigh her 2 days before the fever hit and she weighed 42 lbs.  A week later, she was 36 lbs.  And we are still gaining the weight back.  

She wears a size 4 pants (5 falls off of her butt!) and a 5 top.  

Sweet_Britt
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Right, I get that, but what led you down that line of thinking in the first place?

Quoting craftymommylady:

Quoting Sweet_Britt:

What? Why would being born early cause obesity?

7 years old - 32 weeker - 40 lbs

Almost 6 year old - 32 weeker - 30-31 lbs

21 months in 5 days - 28 weeker - 18lbs 

None of my kids are even slightly overweight

Im saying that it will cause obesity. Im saying that I think there may be a link to it . And I just wanted to see if there is a possibility with the answers I get on here.

AmesGirl
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM
I was 8 wks premature, weighed 2lbs 15oz. I have never been over weight. Mostly under. I am at a healthy weight. I weigh 115 and 5'2''
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamatoKy
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:42 PM
My nephew was born at 37 weeks. 5lbs 9ozs he's only 9 months old now but he's about 20lbs now.

My friends son was born at 25 weeks. 1lb 5ozs and 13 inches. He will b 7 in June. He's tiny. Like 40lbs but he's happy and healthy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:43 PM

my preemies were 5 weeks early and are now 6yrs old. They have been on the small end of the charts since birth and still are, my kids are ghealthy but no where near overweight at all. I dont think I have ever met any preemies that are obese to be honest with you, most I know are even underweight as adults

mcginnisc
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:45 PM

My daughter was born at 34 weeks. She was 4 lbs 8 oz and 17" long..she is 3.5 years old now and is a whopping 28 lbs and 38" tall. She wears 12 month shorts/skirts and 3T pants for length ( fully adjusted they still fall off of her), and 4T shirts and dresses. She is in the 6% for weight and the 29% for height- definitely not obese. ( Mom is  5'1" and 120 lbs and Dad is 6'2", and 190 lbs)

My oldest dd is adopted from China. She is 6.5 years old- 44 lbs and 43" tall. She is in the 30% for weight and the 3% for height...I have no idea if she was a preemie or not, but she is tiny as well. She wears a 6 in shirts and dresses and a 5T in pants that are fully adjusted. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Sweety1018
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:46 PM
DD was born at 36weeks she was 6lb 5oz 20 1/2 inches long. She is two now and is 30lbs and 35 12 inches long doc said she looks great. My cousin was born at 32 weeks she was small I can't remember her weight or height but now at 16 she is 136 and 5'1".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM

OP- I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion, but as someone that is very active and going for my Personal Trainer certifications soon, I will tell you that many things cause Obesity- and being a preemie is not really one of those. It is eating improperly and not being active for the most part... ( yes there are medical conditions that can cause weight issues, but for the most part that is not the issue)Anyone can develop issues later in life if they live an unhealthy lifestyle. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

babie113
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM
I was a 24 Weeker in 1984 I was 1lb 3oz 10" at birth my mom was obese. She developed pre e and I'm 27 and I'm obese also I'm 5ft even and 200lbs didn't start gaining weight till late teens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)