Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ok so I would like to know from you ladies on here if you have or know someone who has had a baby early.  If so how early was the baby born?  How much did the baby weight? How much has the height and weight change from 3yrs to 10 yrs? If the child has not reach these age what have you notice in any change in weight and weight? 

I'm asking these question because I believe that there may be a link to obesity in children that have been born early. I have asked my doctor about this and he does not have any answers for me. I have also resreach it online. The only thing I keep finding is that stuff that happens when babies are in the whom. 

So I thought that I would go right to the moms and ask if you the mom have seen changes in your kids that cant be explained medical wise.

I will bump just so I can get as much info as I can.  

devilMy give a damn is busted

by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Replies (71-79):
nylees-mom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:53 AM
Both of mine were 7 weeks early. My dd was 5.5 and is 20 months now and yea she is chubby. And my ds was 6.3 at birth and is 10
Months at 23 pounds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
craftymommylady
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Quoting Hani_Mommy:

My preemie was born at 29 weeks. He was barely 2lbs. He was at the bottom of the scale, and has stayed there. He will be 4 next month.

All preemies I know are on the smaller side. I doubt there is any kind of direct link between obesity and early genestational delivery.

However there could be a indirect link between why it was an early genestational delivery and obesity. Typically those who have physical/cognitive problems can tend to be "obese.". And there is a group of preemies that suffer from those inpairments either that resulted or is the cause of the early genestational delivery.
If I were to do this research I would narrow "preemie" to define that of which was born in an earlier genestation than 36 weeks, and delivery was the result of an impairment of the child.

Sub part would go to define preemie that early delivery was the attribute of an impairment.

That was my next step. I wanted to research all avenues of possibilities. that could lead to obesity in my prematurely born child.

devilMy give a damn is busted

kaysea2012
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM

My second son was born at 36 weeks he weighed 4lbs 3oz. My third son was born at 36 weeks and he weighed 4lbs 11oz. No changes at all other than slow weight gain at first now they are up to par. :D

Kaidynn (2), Riley (1), Chandler (5months)

2 angel babies ^!^ ^!^

baby boytoddler tantrumtoddler boyin lovesids ribbonproud preemie mommy!

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:52 PM
I have read an article that the rapid gaining after being born early can lead to overweight kids and adults, actually. It was a yahoo news medical article about a study that was done but that was last year sometime.
junior1985
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:34 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is a 23 weeker and she is now 8 mo and is 16lbs 28 inches ansd was born at 1lb 9 oz and 12.5 inches

Maprinces3
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:00 PM

#1 was born at 27 weeks. Weighed 2 lbs 13 oz., 16" by the time she was 2 was over the 100th precentile in height and weight and while at Miami Childrens was told she was on track to be 7 foot. She is 30 now and is 5'6" and slightly chubby (not obese)

#2 she was born at 34 weeks. Weighed 5 lbs 4 oz., 18" entire childhood was 25th % in weigh or less, but off charts in height. Now 23 and is 5'5" and 130ish.

#3 he was born at 30 weeks. Weighed 3 lbs 10 oz, 18" entire childhood barely on charts for both height and weight. From 3-6 did not gain an ounce. MD's say its because of his asthma hospitalizations and being on steriods so much. He is 21 now and is 5'6" and 125 lbs. Husbands grandparents all about 5' and mom & sister only 5'2"ish each. I think he partly takes after them

ShadowLark
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:46 PM
I think I read that the link to obesity is with SGA babies, not necessarily preemies. A 32 weeker who was 4 and a half pounds was at a normal birthweight. A 37 weeker who was 4 lbs 14 oz - not so much.
My oldest son was a 37 weeker and 4 lbs 14 oz at birth. He had a hidden placental abruption that caused IUGR in the 3rd trimester. He's 5 1/2 and still small - maybe 40 lbs and 38ish inches tall. I think if he does become obese, it will be around puberty. That's how it happens in our family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1plustwinsmommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM
My twins were born at 35 weeks, but at 6.3 and 6.5 were big for twins and comparable to the size of many full term babies. We had trouble with jaundice, and breathing but not major issues. They are in the 25th and 50th percentile now, perfectly healthy. They are 4 1/2 now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
incognito116
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM
My son was a 33 weeker, 5 lbs 7 oz. At 9 years old he is a bean pole.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN