Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I wish there was a place to send my 16 yr old son..... Edit

Posted by   + Show Post

I am so tired of fighting with him every single day. I just found out he made all E's so he will be failing this year. I get home from work and he was not home and never done his work. He lies and always leaves when he is not allowed. He is in good in some ways like not getting in trouble with the police or doing drugs or anything. I just cant get him to focus on school and not walking out the house when he wants to. I am 5 months pregnant and really about to lose my mind over the stress. He just acts like he doesnt care at all.  Wow I feel a little calmer.

Well my husband and I just decided that I quit my job to stay home.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Replies (31-40):
i_lovedyoufirst
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:45 PM
This place helps a lot.
I was close to being put in it when I was at home and acting out how he is
http://mesillavalleyhospital.com/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jimswife95
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:46 PM

actually I live in a good size city. I live in norfolk,va

Quoting CaptainFeast:

Where the hell do you live? BUMFUCK, NOWHERE?

How are the kids supposed to study? What are your schools blowing the books budget on? 

Quoting jimswife95:

No school in our city has school books. 

Quoting CaptainFeast:

Don't make excuses. Just do it. Email his teachers daily, get to know when his assignments are due. Buy him a planner. Have the teacher sign off on the day-to-day. The teachers will be ecstatic to see a parent actually care about their child's schoolwork.

And, are you sure he has no books? He could be just telling you that, I mean the kid is making straight Fs. 

Quoting jimswife95:

Here there dont get homework everyday. They have no school books to bring home,no planner. Unless I am at school the whole time with him I have no clue what they do. I am very involved in his life and everything he does. I don't pay him for good grades. I believe he is old enough to know that his grades are very important and he has spending money so money wouldnt work anyway.

Quoting CaptainFeast:

Okay, calm down. He just brought home a bad report card. He isn't in trouble with the law or on drugs, just lazy. Motivate him! Pay him for good grades (school is a job, after all) or you check his HW everyday. Get involved! Email his teachers, check up on him. 

I was that lazy student. I'm making suggestions that would have worked on me.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

You have to be the parent here.  If he does not go see them about whatever issues he is having, you have to go talk to them.  The actual military can be very tough on people when it wants to be so you need to be tough on him.  He is almost an adult and right now he isnt getting any consequences for his behavior.  I would be bugging the school so much they would tell me to go away.

Quoting jimswife95:

They have a warrant officer. I have thought about it but I dont want to go the place my son loves and them him start to hate warrant. I told my son he needs to talk to him that he would give him good unbiased advice.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Have you talked to the adults in charge of ROTC?  They may have some ideas for discipline at this age.  His commander for one ( i am presuming there is a commander).

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:48 PM

any positive role models/support he will listen to??  Have them talk to him-hard to get through their heads at that age--we --parents know nothing---

Schleetle
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:48 PM
I've never heard of E's before? Anyway good luck OP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Our school has a site where you can monitor grades.  And you know what is due and what is not turned in. It also lets you see if they missed classes. Or are late.  I bet your school does too. I think it's a little late to worry about this year. Sounds like he has been getting away with it.  If my son just walked out of the house and I did not know where he was, I would call the cops and he knows it.  

jimswife95
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM

between the no child left behind and the students attacking teachers. My son says the teachers are afraid of the students and cant do their jobs. I want to homeschool him but dont think he will benefit from that.

Quoting frndlyfn:

You have to be the parent here.  If he does not go see them about whatever issues he is having, you have to go talk to them.  The actual military can be very tough on people when it wants to be so you need to be tough on him.  He is almost an adult and right now he isnt getting any consequences for his behavior.  I would be bugging the school so much they would tell me to go away.

Quoting jimswife95:

They have a warrant officer. I have thought about it but I dont want to go the place my son loves and them him start to hate warrant. I told my son he needs to talk to him that he would give him good unbiased advice.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Have you talked to the adults in charge of ROTC?  They may have some ideas for discipline at this age.  His commander for one ( i am presuming there is a commander).

heavenly1462
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:50 PM
I'm sorry, but a bad report card is bad! It will effect getting into college.

Also, and this is just my opinion, I would NEVER pay my kids for getting good grades! Getting good grades will be expected from my daughter. School is not a job. It is education and preparing for a better education.

Quoting CaptainFeast:

Okay, calm down. He just brought home a bad report card. He isn't in trouble with the law or on drugs, just lazy. Motivate him! Pay him for good grades (school is a job, after all) or you check his HW everyday. Get involved! Email his teachers, check up on him. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jimswife95
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:50 PM

cops here wont do anything unless its been 24 hours. If he is out past curfew they just call the parents to pick them up. Trust me tonight I really wanted to lock him out and call the cops but then I would get in trouble.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Our school has a site where you can monitor grades.  And you know what is due and what is not turned in. It also lets you see if they missed classes. Or are late.  I bet your school does too. I think it's a little late to worry about this year. Sounds like he has been getting away with it.  If my son just walked out of the house and I did not know where he was, I would call the cops and he knows it.  

CaptainFeast
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:51 PM

You're bullshitting me. I can't imagine a school district without any books. That's ridiculous.

Quoting jimswife95:

actually I live in a good size city. I live in norfolk,va

Quoting CaptainFeast:

Where the hell do you live? BUMFUCK, NOWHERE?

How are the kids supposed to study? What are your schools blowing the books budget on? 

Quoting jimswife95:

No school in our city has school books. 

Quoting CaptainFeast:

Don't make excuses. Just do it. Email his teachers daily, get to know when his assignments are due. Buy him a planner. Have the teacher sign off on the day-to-day. The teachers will be ecstatic to see a parent actually care about their child's schoolwork.

And, are you sure he has no books? He could be just telling you that, I mean the kid is making straight Fs. 

Quoting jimswife95:

Here there dont get homework everyday. They have no school books to bring home,no planner. Unless I am at school the whole time with him I have no clue what they do. I am very involved in his life and everything he does. I don't pay him for good grades. I believe he is old enough to know that his grades are very important and he has spending money so money wouldnt work anyway.

Quoting CaptainFeast:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN