Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Pay your kids for making good grades?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM
  • 103 Replies
1 mom liked this

I would. I plan to. 

I was always told, "School is your job." So, why not get a paycheck for it? I had friend's whose parents did this and they succeeded in school. I was told, "Do it or else." and I skipped class, slept through class, and just flunked. I was plenty smart enough to do the work just lazy and I know with proper motivation (something tangible) I would have done well.

Photobucket

by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM
No way in hell
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hddcooper
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:21 PM
I agree. Why not be rewarded for trying hard and doing good. I don't give a ton of money or anything but a few bucks for an A or B on a report card is reasonable IMO
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ILive4This
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't pay for grades.   My 3 kids that have graduated (and gone onto college), excelled.   I still have a 12 year old in school.   I don't think that the key to excelling, is bribing with money.  Teaching good habits, and being involved with them, has a better success rate.

JaimieLynn8
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
My grandparents always sent us mOney if we sent them our report card with good grades!
It was definitely a good extra push to work a little harder. I think great work should be rewarded.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaptainFeast
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Definitely. That's very important.

Quoting ILive4This:

I don't pay for grades.   My 3 kids that have graduated (and gone onto college), excelled.   I still have a 12 year old in school.   I don't think that the key to excelling, is bribing with money.  Teaching good habits, and being involved with them, has a better success rate.

Lydlou02
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Nope. A good report card gets a special night out. Money is earned by doing chores. Homework must be completed before chores.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommamorales
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I got $5 for every A all the way up to 6th grade. I knew I could make the grades but having that extra incentive was awesome!! I plan on doing it with my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaptainFeast
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Chores is a good one. My kids allowance will definitely be dependant on chores.

But an incentive, like money, would be a bonus.

Quoting Lydlou02:

Nope. A good report card gets a special night out. Money is earned by doing chores. Homework must be completed before chores.

ILive4This
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I should add, that we go out for dinner, or something, for a nice report card.   We do acknowledge good work, we just don't fork over $5 for A's, etc.

hautemama83
by Nichole on May. 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope. I don't, and I won't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN