Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

help me brainstorm what could be wrong with him!!!

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:13 AM
  • 43 Replies

here is the scoop. My 8 year old son seems to have intermittent episodes for two months or more where he has diarrhea and/or vomiting for a day or two each week.  IT IS NOT THE STOMACH FLU, even thought the doctors keep trying to pass it off as that.  he is not sick at all, no fever, just stomach cramping and severe diarrhea (like consitancy of urine).  this will last for at least a month, then will resolve for a few months and return again.  i'm taking him into the doctor again tomorrow and will not take anything less than scheduling for an endoscopy or colonoscopy.  anyone have any ideas on what the hell could be causing this?

Last week he was in the dr and diagnosed with a sinus infection. we were basically "promised" that the antibiotics will resolve the problem. within 2 hours after being seen by the dr, I had to call an ambulance because he was doubled over in pain, lethargic, weak and didnt want to move at all.  the ER diagnosed him with severe dehydration and a viral stomach flu. the next day he was almost 100% better ,back to normal energy level, vomiting done, but STILL had severe diarrhea!!!  now less than a week later (the diarrhea went away after friday last week) he was "sick" again!!! 

He cant keep missing school, and I cant keep missing work and school over this!!!! I need suggestions to look into so that I dont feel so blind about what it could possibly be!!

by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
The_Doodle
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Have you tried recording what he is eating around those times? I have digestive problems myself and it usually has to do with what I do or don't eat.

piwife
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:15 AM
I would ask for a referral to a gastrointerologist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbbrom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Quoting piwife:

I would ask for a referral to a gastrointerologist.

I was planning on that. I know i wont take it being brushed off anymore as he just catches viruses more!!

CHLOES_MOM2008
by Sarah on May. 3, 2012 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this
No idea, sorry. Here's a bump for you. Hope someone figures out what is causing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbbrom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Quoting The_Doodle:

Have you tried recording what he is eating around those times? I have digestive problems myself and it usually has to do with what I do or don't eat.

I am also having him allergy tested next thursday to see if he has some that we missed.  his diet is extremely limited because he has severe food allergies and I was wondering if maybe he had a "hidden" allergy that we dont realize.

Ashley_Carlson
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:18 AM

My sister has a similar problem. She was diagnosed with Juvenile Iritable Bowel Syndrome and GERD

jbbrom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

My sister has a similar problem. She was diagnosed with Juvenile Iritable Bowel Syndrome and GERD

can they do anything to help those? the dr thought he had reflux because of his asthma, but the meds just gave him heartburn! 

momtolittleg
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Gallbladder issues?  Food allergy (gluten?)?  Seizures (seriously- I saw a show once where a girl was puking in the middle of the night for no reason and it was seizures!)?

I say gluten issues/celiac disease.

Ashley_Carlson
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:21 AM

A special diet and Zantac

Quoting jbbrom:

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

can they do anything to help those? the dr thought he had reflux because of his asthma, but the meds just gave him heartburn! 

jbbrom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Quoting momtolittleg:

Gallbladder issues?  Food allergy (gluten?)?  Seizures (seriously- I saw a show once where a girl was puking in the middle of the night for no reason and it was seizures!)?

I say gluten issues/celiac disease.

I was thinking it could be this too, but wouldnt he have them all the time? my fear actually is that we will have to limit his diet even more than it already is! i'd be one unhappy mama!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)