Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

help me brainstorm what could be wrong with him!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

here is the scoop. My 8 year old son seems to have intermittent episodes for two months or more where he has diarrhea and/or vomiting for a day or two each week.  IT IS NOT THE STOMACH FLU, even thought the doctors keep trying to pass it off as that.  he is not sick at all, no fever, just stomach cramping and severe diarrhea (like consitancy of urine).  this will last for at least a month, then will resolve for a few months and return again.  i'm taking him into the doctor again tomorrow and will not take anything less than scheduling for an endoscopy or colonoscopy.  anyone have any ideas on what the hell could be causing this?

Last week he was in the dr and diagnosed with a sinus infection. we were basically "promised" that the antibiotics will resolve the problem. within 2 hours after being seen by the dr, I had to call an ambulance because he was doubled over in pain, lethargic, weak and didnt want to move at all.  the ER diagnosed him with severe dehydration and a viral stomach flu. the next day he was almost 100% better ,back to normal energy level, vomiting done, but STILL had severe diarrhea!!!  now less than a week later (the diarrhea went away after friday last week) he was "sick" again!!! 

He cant keep missing school, and I cant keep missing work and school over this!!!! I need suggestions to look into so that I dont feel so blind about what it could possibly be!!

by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Replies (41-43):
darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Quoting jbbrom:

Quoting darcibeisheim:

Quoting jbbrom:

i'm kinda mad now! after taking a stool sample I had results within 2 days. he has a c diff infection!!! not sure how he has this because everything says its from antibiotics, but he has only been on them maybe 6 times in his whole life, and none have been any time recently (except after he was having stomach issues).  

anyways i'm upset because they were supposed to culture a stool sample in the ER 2 weeks ago, and I think that they brushed it off because they released him less than a half an hour after taking the sample! 

I just noticed your post and I was thinking c-diff, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't repeating anything.

C-diff is very contagious and easily picked up.. It also can flare back up frequently. My best friend was recently diagnosed with chronic c-diff, pretty sure she picked it up at work (we work together in healthcare).

Make sure your son has proper handwashing very frequent. Get some strong antibacterial cleaner to clean your hard surfaces (it needs to sit on the surface for about 10 minutes to kill c-diff). I can not stress the handwashing enough.

I hope he gets better soon and this is the end of his problems.

he is an asthmatic, so we are in and out of the ER with him quite frequently!! it seems like it "flares" up whenever his asthma also flares up, so I thought for sure it was from the predislone.  any recomendations on antibac cleaner? would a bleach solution be enough?

I had to check real quick lol.. we use a product called dispatch to clean our ambulance and equipment.. but bleach would also work... 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Remember to let it set before wiping it off.

Clorox makes dispatch and it comes in easy to use wipes, but I am not sure if it is available to regular consumers or if its only for healthcare.

I would also get some disposable gloves (at any pharmacy) to use while cleaning so that you don't pick it up.. Some people can be carriers of it without symptoms and pass it on to others. It spreads like wildfire in nursing homes. Proper handwashing is the best thing at preventing the spread, but the disinfectant will also help.

Periwinkle Awareness RibbonEsophageal Atresia Awareness

jbbrom
by on May. 13, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Quoting darcibeisheim:

Quoting jbbrom:

Quoting darcibeisheim:

Quoting jbbrom:

i'm kinda mad now! after taking a stool sample I had results within 2 days. he has a c diff infection!!! not sure how he has this because everything says its from antibiotics, but he has only been on them maybe 6 times in his whole life, and none have been any time recently (except after he was having stomach issues).  

anyways i'm upset because they were supposed to culture a stool sample in the ER 2 weeks ago, and I think that they brushed it off because they released him less than a half an hour after taking the sample! 

I just noticed your post and I was thinking c-diff, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't repeating anything.

C-diff is very contagious and easily picked up.. It also can flare back up frequently. My best friend was recently diagnosed with chronic c-diff, pretty sure she picked it up at work (we work together in healthcare).

Make sure your son has proper handwashing very frequent. Get some strong antibacterial cleaner to clean your hard surfaces (it needs to sit on the surface for about 10 minutes to kill c-diff). I can not stress the handwashing enough.

he is an asthmatic, so we are in and out of the ER with him quite frequently!! it seems like it "flares" up whenever his asthma also flares up, so I thought for sure it was from the predislone.  any recomendations on antibac cleaner? would a bleach solution be enough?

I had to check real quick lol.. we use a product called dispatch to clean our ambulance and equipment.. but bleach would also work... 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Remember to let it set before wiping it off.

Clorox makes dispatch and it comes in easy to use wipes, but I am not sure if it is available to regular consumers or if its only for healthcare.

I would also get some disposable gloves (at any pharmacy) to use while cleaning so that you don't pick it up.. Some people can be carriers of it without symptoms and pass it on to others. It spreads like wildfire in nursing homes. Proper handwashing is the best thing at preventing the spread, but the disinfectant will also help.

I work with babies, and I think he has had this for over a year, should I get tested or treated too?  wouldnt someone else have it, or could we be containing it good?

darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Quoting jbbrom:

Quoting darcibeisheim:

Quoting jbbrom:

Quoting darcibeisheim:

Quoting jbbrom:

I work with babies, and I think he has had this for over a year, should I get tested or treated too?  wouldnt someone else have it, or could we be containing it good?

Ask your doctor about testing the household. He may or may not.

I honestly would treat him and see if it comes back. If it continues to come back then I would look into testing everyone else. But either way, proper handwashing by everyone, especially after using the restroom is essential.

Periwinkle Awareness RibbonEsophageal Atresia Awareness

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)