Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I have a ? for all the dog lovers...

Posted by   + Show Post

DH and I are always battling it out about the dog sleeping in our bed.  The dog is a chi/rat terrier mix and is tiny, so it only sleeps next to me. I go to bed after DH bc he has to get up early for work.  I take care of the dog, he's like one of my babies. I wash the dog monthly, the sheets weekly,and like I said the doggie only sleeps beside me , so the only time DH even knows he is there is when we wake up in the morning. I hate putting the dog in his crate.  He is a tiny little burrower, so he covers himself in blankets when he is in his crate.  He just wants comfort and to be close to me.  Should I kick him out bc DH doesn't want him here?

by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Replies (71-75):
HarschMama
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:58 AM
No way! Doggies are awesome cuddlers!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happinessforyou
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Well- I hate to point out the obvious-but if he is saying something about it-it IS affecting him. You just don't want to hear it.

We have 3 dogs-all 3 sleep in the dining room in their own crates. I wake up first and let them all out. Then they jump in bed. Compromise makes the world go round! :)

Quoting UpsideDown:

He doesn't even notice the dog until morning.  And he never complains of the bed reeking like dog or the dog is all up in his space.  Isn't it inconsiderate of him to disregard my feelings about it, if it really doesn't affect him?

Quoting AHmom103:

Well, until it is just YOUR bed, I think it's a bit inconsiderate not to.

twoblues
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:58 AM
You and your DH both have to sleep in the bed, shouldn't you both feel comfortable? The dog can have it's own bed. Not everyone likes pets sleeping with them, even tiny ones!
L1558
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM

You might not like my answer, but my bed is a sanctuary. I never slept with my dog, although I let him up there once in awhile to snuggle while I read (he was a Yorkie)...but he had his place. I don't even let my kid sleep with me. It's me, or me and my husband, now that I'm married. 

That comes first to me; no one should have to share a bed with a dog if they don't want to-- that's my opinion.

BridgettH2012
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, does he know how close you are to your fur baby? Try talking to him and explain exactly what you are saying here. You do share the bed so he should compromise with you. I don't see how it could be a problem if he doesn't even notice the dog is in the bed with you. Luckily it doesn't bother my husband, but if it did I would talk him into it eventually. When we first got our puppy he told me that she cannot sleep on the bed, then the first night she started crying loudly and he's the one that grabbed her and put her with me. Lol

Quoting UpsideDown:

My dog is like my baby too. I bathe him only once a month bc he gets really dry and flaky if I do it more.  The thing is, the conflict isn't about how dirty the dog is, he just doesn't want him there.  It's not fair. Especially since he doesn't even really notice he is there until morning.  I want to sneak him in, but I know that won't really help anything.  

Quoting BridgettH2012:

My dog is like my child. So I want her to sleep comfortably. Plus she gets a bath every 2 weeks unless she gets dirty on her walks, then I will bathe her when need be.

Quoting UpsideDown:

I know. He cries in his crate for awhile before he goes to sleep.  If I had a dog bed by us he would just jump in the bed anyway.  It makes me sad. I don't want to crate him tonight. :(

Quoting BridgettH2012:

My 4 month old Chihuahua sleeps with me too and DH doesn't mind as long as she stays off of him. Sometimes he cuddles with her too though. She has a dog bed by ours but if I were to out her there no one would get any sleep cuz she cries when she's not closet someone. So I understand you wanting your puppy to sleep with you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)