Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My daughter perforated her eardrum... Questions?

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:00 AM
  • 20 Replies

About how long till this heals?

Will it affect her balance?

Is gymnastics advisable?  She's on bars and floor work?

This is stuff we forgot to ask her doctor.  We can ask in the morning but she's freaking now about missing out on her gymnastics classes.

by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ittyprincess604
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:03 AM

idk so heres a bump!

grey7399
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Thank you!

Quoting ittyprincess604:

idk so heres a bump!

3_girls_86
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Quoting ittyprincess604:

idk so heres a bump!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:26 AM

How is she walking right now?  Perhaps when it is day light, take her to a raised curb by a sidewalk to see how she can balance on that.

Apollos82
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:27 AM

I THINK she'll be "okay" but not great. 

I had ear infections a lot as a child and still did ballet when I had them....even with ruptured year drums. My balance wasn't as good, but was okay. I don't think I would have attempted balance beam or anything where I would fall on anything but the floor, though....

Poor thing. I hope she heals quickly! Try to avoid TOO much exertion, and NO SWEETS until she's healed. They can delay the healing process. 

grey7399
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Seems to be just fine.  She's been running & jumping all over the property.  She and her older brother were playing "war" ducking & diving and climbing stuff.

My husband is spazzing that she'll re-injure it, or impede its healing with extra activity but he didn't say squat about her playing outside so actively.

I'm thinking she'll be fine.  There may be the possibility that to much activity or high impact could slow or interrupt the healing.

But she's pitching a fit and I'd really like to go to bed, lol.

Quoting frndlyfn:

How is she walking right now?  Perhaps when it is day light, take her to a raised curb by a sidewalk to see how she can balance on that.

grey7399
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Thank you!  Another perspective on my side, lol

Quoting Apollos82:

I THINK she'll be "okay" but not great. 

I had ear infections a lot as a child and still did ballet when I had them....even with ruptured year drums. My balance wasn't as good, but was okay. I don't think I would have attempted balance beam or anything where I would fall on anything but the floor, though....

Poor thing. I hope she heals quickly! Try to avoid TOO much exertion, and NO SWEETS until she's healed. They can delay the healing process. 

Apollos82
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:30 AM

How did she perforate it, anyway??

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Make sure she does not blow her nose at all while healing.  I saw that it could reinjure the ear.  I would just call the doctor in morning to see what level of activity she can do.

grey7399
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:31 AM

She was running on a slip-n-slide, fell and hit heard FLAT.  Between the push of air and the suction - one of those perfed the ear drum.  Is that bizarre or what???

Quoting Apollos82:

How did she perforate it, anyway??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)