Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

LICE!!!!

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM
  • 25 Replies
Ugh! Was about to send my daughter to school, happened to look at her head and she had one crawling on her head. No school for her and lots of cleaning for me. Does Nix work well? I havent used it since I was a kid and my mom fried my hair with it. I'd really rather use something else. Is there anything else I can try?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkHairMAMA
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
We used Nix. Good luck!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
evanne337
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Mouthwash but just the plain old regular yellow one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:06 AM

it would be very difficult to see a louse on a kids head unless you were about 3 inches away. 

Goggle a picture to be sure that is what is was before doing any treatment

IF you are sure it is a louse, you need to contact the school so they can check all the other kids.

Alliemad_3
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Lice are becoming resistant to the pesticides in OTC remedies.

When my kid had it, I mixed olive oil with about 12 drops of tea tree oil. Saturated her head and wrapped it in saran wrap. Left it for roughly 3-4 hours. You have to leave it on long enough to smother them...they can hold their breath a long time. Took her into the shower and rinsed it then used conditioner to comb out the live and nits. Repeat 2 days later. Repeat with a conditioner comb out every 2 days for about a week.

Wash all bed linens in hot water. Bag up all stuffed animals or dolls with hair for a week. Vacuum, vacuum,vacuum. All carpets, couches, mattresses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itzmyzoo
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks, now my head itches.......lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toopicky429
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Tea tree oil also will help get rid of lice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Szontagh
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

that is the WORST! good luck!! Nix and picking thru finding all the eggs and washing everyyyyything.

my sister and i got it every single yr at girl scout camp! my mom eventually started taking us to a truck stop, doing the treatments while washing all our laundry at a laundry mat before we ever stepped foot in the house! 

lifehappy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Coconut oil. No chemicals. I've never had to deal with lice (yet...hopefully never, lol), but I use a ton of coconut oil for everything else, and lice was on the uses list.

Nihhusa
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:15 AM
I have already contacted her school, so they can look through the kids hair. I was probably less than 3 inches away from her head, I was kissing her goodbye and it crawled over her part and I searched her hair and found eggs. Unfortunately I know exactly to look for, being that when I was 15 my cousins kept giving them to me. Had them for a year, fried my hair because of it. I hate them, lice not my cousins.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

it would be very difficult to see a louse on a kids head unless you were about 3 inches away. 

Goggle a picture to be sure that is what is was before doing any treatment

IF you are sure it is a louse, you need to contact the school so they can check all the other kids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nihhusa
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Ya I haven't stopped itching since I found it lol

Quoting itzmyzoo:

Thanks, now my head itches.......lol!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)