Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

texas moms with school aged kids

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM
  • 11 Replies
What is the grading scale here. In Virginia my dd had the A B C D and F. But when my dd bring home her report card here there is no letter grade its numbers. Do they start using the letter grade in middle or high school or is it always numbers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShhhItsASecret
by Tiffany on May. 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SP_Mama
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:32 AM

SS is in Kinder and he gets a very weird report card.  There are several different things he's rated on and he can score a 1-4 with a 4 being exceeding in that area and a 3 being meeting that level. 

3monkeys2love
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM

We are in Texas, the report cards have a number grade and signs for certain areas such as communication with others, being prepared with supplies, etc.

thankme
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Where in Texas are you.Because I'm from Austin

naumann24
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM
In kinder there's letters like E, S,etc. And checkmarks go by the skills they have mastered for that six weeks. In first and on its all numbers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShhhItsASecret
by Tiffany on May. 3, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Dallas

Quoting thankme:

Where in Texas are you.Because I'm from Austin

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:43 AM
I grew up in Texas. They never did letter grades only numbers. Passing was anywhere from a 70 and up so essentially they had A's 90-100, B's 80-89, C's 70-79 and F's anything 69 and under. Some school districts may still may still have D's which would likely be 60-69 but ours voted to do away with D's to raise the bar of passing so to speak.
joshlor2
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:46 AM
This! And I will add in some districts they do skill books for the younger kids (kinder-1st) and those kids get a number 1-4 they shows mastery of the subject. 1 being they need help 2 being they are working on grade level mastery 3 they have reached grade level mastery and 4 is thy have exceeded grade level mastery.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

I grew up in Texas. They never did letter grades only numbers. Passing was anywhere from a 70 and up so essentially they had A's 90-100, B's 80-89, C's 70-79 and F's anything 69 and under. Some school districts may still may still have D's which would likely be 60-69 but ours voted to do away with D's to raise the bar of passing so to speak.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmfanfgljf
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:46 AM
In my girls school there "grades" are "e", "s", "r", 1, 2, 3, and 4, things like that, I was very confused the first time I saw their report card.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShhhItsASecret
by Tiffany on May. 3, 2012 at 10:51 AM
That helps a bit. Thanks. Just not seeing the letters makes it a bit difficult to know how she's actually doing. I don't want her to get anything lower then a C. But when I look at it I don't know what would be considered a C.
My dad likes to know how she does and is rather give him letter grade then explain the numbers and what I guess they are.
Another weird thing in Virginia she got a report card 4 times a year. And progress reports in between those. But here it seems like everytime I turn around she's bringing home another report card.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN