Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

No tip needed

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM
  • 25 Replies

I saw an article on the news this morning.

This family is saying that they refused to pay the 17% tip that was added to their bill after eating at a local restaurant because they received poor service. The menu clearly states that 17% gratuity will be added for all parties of 5 or more. When they refused to pay they were locked inside of the restaurant and police were called.

Who is in the wrong? The customer? Or the restaurant who refused to budge on their policy?

What are your thoughts on gratuity automatically added to bills?

Link to the video             http://news.yahoo.com/video/oddnews-22772304/family-locked-in-restaurant-after-refusing-to-pay-tip-29164460.html#crsl=%252Fvideo%252Foddnews-22772304%252Ffamily-locked-in-restaurant-after-refusing-to-pay-tip-29164460.html

by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pnukey
by Jennifer on May. 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Automatic gratuity is stupid. They should just change their prices.

Tips are EXTRA, earned with good service. 

However, the family knew the policy going in, and they had the option to eat elsewhere. The customer is wrong in this case.

lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I always just pay it. However, I would be pretty pissed if I received extremely bad service and had to tip that much on a large bill.

skittlebeans88
by Traci on May. 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM
anyone can say they had bad service. the customers were in the wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM
I don't know the circumstances to say who was initially rightnor wrong. I suppose it's policy so the customers were possibly wrong at first, but, the restaraunt should have budged on their policy and not gone that far to keep it out of the media.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
couponluv72
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM

tipping should never be mandatory. however legally they were dully notified of the charge. they should not have eaten there. 

stellarmom1
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Well I guess the menu does say gratuity will be added so they knew that going in. Still though I feel like we need to know more of the story. What happened to make them not want to tip,did the manager try and fix the problem etc.. or was the family just one of those people you can never please no matter what? I think the police being called is probably an overreaction, but still I think we need more of the story to decide.

jas_momof2
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:47 AM

While i understand it, I don't agree with it.  if the customer has a good reason for not paying it, management should accept that.  It's a gratuity - not a given, even if it's stated beforehand...

kmjmlj
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:47 AM
I don't go to places like that I leave a really good tip for good service but never less then $5 just last week I lefted $20 for 3 people that ate kids always had plenty napkins glasses stayed filled empty plates taken as soon as we set them aside it was a buffet I just sat down to eat when 1 kid wanted more the waitress brought her so I could eat and my other daughter could finish hers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kodysmommy928
by Jenjo-a-gogo on May. 3, 2012 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

The customer is wrong.  The moment they sat down and ordered they agreed to pay the mandatory gratuity. 

coug7099
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

See, this is pretty much how I feel too. The customer said that she politely asked that the 17% be removed so that they could give what they felt was fair under the circumstances. I was shocked that the restaurant actual took it to the point of calling the police.

Sadly, had they asked that the meal be comped or something for poor service they may have actually gotten something taken off of the bill. IMO This was bad customer service at it's finest.

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

I don't know the circumstances to say who was initially rightnor wrong. I suppose it's policy so the customers were possibly wrong at first, but, the restaraunt should have budged on their policy and not gone that far to keep it out of the media.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)