Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I saw an article on the news this morning.

This family is saying that they refused to pay the 17% tip that was added to their bill after eating at a local restaurant because they received poor service. The menu clearly states that 17% gratuity will be added for all parties of 5 or more. When they refused to pay they were locked inside of the restaurant and police were called.

Who is in the wrong? The customer? Or the restaurant who refused to budge on their policy?

What are your thoughts on gratuity automatically added to bills?

Link to the video             http://news.yahoo.com/video/oddnews-22772304/family-locked-in-restaurant-after-refusing-to-pay-tip-29164460.html#crsl=%252Fvideo%252Foddnews-22772304%252Ffamily-locked-in-restaurant-after-refusing-to-pay-tip-29164460.html

by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Replies (21-25):
Mrs.Worthen
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Btw if it says automatic tip anywhere, I will leave. F*** that. Waitresses think they are entitled but you have to earn a TIP in my book.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BamaMommy2
by Angel.N.Disguise on May. 3, 2012 at 10:04 AM

oh wow! I wish the place that I worked at (Waffle House) did that. There were many times that I waited the big booth and had 8 or more people and either didn't get a tip or didn't get what I felt I deserved. I'm not surprised though because WH still has the waitresses/waiters call the orders out to the cook. They aren't updated like all the other restaurants. 

Quoting cherrywaves21:

We add 18% to parties 8 and larger.

Quoting BamaMommy2:

I'm kinda conflicted about this one. Even though it was clearly stated on the menu, the customers had no way of knowing that their service was going to be bad when they initially sat down. I'm leaning more toward the restaurant being wrong. I was a waitress for 4 years, so I know how bad it sucks to not get tipped, even when I waited on the customer hand and foot. However, if I gave horrible service, I wouldn't expect to get a tip and I don't think it should be a required thing.

As far as the automatic gratuity, I've never heard of it being added for a dine-in bill. We used to add gratuity for to-go orders only. 

TSNDDY
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:04 AM
The customer is wrong in my opinion. It was a mandatory tip and they were informed of it.
If they had a valid complaint and wanted something to be reduced or taken of the bill they could have done that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xstitchinmom
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:08 AM
I think restaurants that do this need to change their policy, but in the meantime it's up to the customer to check if there's a gratuity before eating there. We have been to a few restaurants that had poor service and a required gratuity...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coug7099
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)