Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Tipping seems to be a topic this morning...what would you have done??

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM
  • 45 Replies

DH, the kids, and I went to Cracker Barrel Sunday for lunch.

Our waitress was...lets call her Jackie. The hostess seated us right at the fireplace, in front of the kitchen (this is important). Jackie comes out right away and takes our drink order. She then brings out mine and DH's drink only, took our order. We asked her about our kids drinks and she said "Oh, oops, I'll bring them right out." We don't see her again.

A different waitress brings out our food, at this point, my boys still don't have their drinks, and we asked that waitress (We'll call her Martha) and she brings them right out. We notice that Jackie is peering out of the kitchen and into the dinning room. As soon as Martha walks away, Jackie comes by and asks if everything was ok. We asked her for napkins, A1, and more drink. She says ok, and never comes back.

Martha ended up filling our drinks, so we asked her for the napkins and A1. We notice Jackie peeking out into the dinning room again, and as soon as Martha brings the stuff we asked for and walks away, Jackie comes by and asks if everything is ok.

Then the boys wanted jelly for their biscuits. We asked Jackie a total of 5 times for some jelly, and we never got any. Martha came back by and filled our drinks, so we asked her. She brings the jelly right out. And then Jackie brought our bill to the table. Her name is on the bill as waitress and all (I almost had my doubts..lol).

When we left, instead of leaving a tip on the table...I hunted Martha down and gave her a $10 tip. She thanked me, but seemed sort of confused.

To me, Martha deserved the tip, and Jackie deserves....well, to lose her job, because she obviously wasn't doing it. We aren't the only table of hers that she neglected....and the guy at the table beside us actually cussed her as we were walking out of the dinning room.

by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kris_81
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM
2 moms liked this
I would have done what you did & talked to a manager.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriLou75
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I would have tipped my waitress and complained to management about the poor service from my server.

Bird16_J

I would've done the same thing and then gone to a manager and complained at how Jackie was a shitty waitress and I would think twice about going there especially if Jackie was "working." She sounds like a lazy ass imo.

imakemakeup
I was a server for years and years, and I would've gotten the manager for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on May. 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM

So you would have tipped Jackie, when she wasn't the one doing the work??

Quoting LoriLou75:

I would have tipped my waitress and complained to management about the poor service from my server.

Coca.Cola
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I would have done the same thing but also talk to the manager. Nothing is going to improve if you don't say something. 

laciD
This

Quoting kris_81:

I would have done what you did & talked to a manager.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on May. 3, 2012 at 10:24 AM

We did talk to a manager, but no one offered to bring them to the table. We asked when we went to pay for the food.

We were offered a discount but didn't accept because that's not what we were looking for...lol.

Quoting imakemakeup:

I was a server for years and years, and I would've gotten the manager for you!

couponluv72

you were spot on. i would have tipped the same way. 

Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on May. 3, 2012 at 10:24 AM
I would have done the same thing. Jackie didn't deserve the tip Martha did. I don't tip for shitty service
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN