Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Tipping seems to be a topic this morning...what would you have done??

Posted by   + Show Post

DH, the kids, and I went to Cracker Barrel Sunday for lunch.

Our waitress was...lets call her Jackie. The hostess seated us right at the fireplace, in front of the kitchen (this is important). Jackie comes out right away and takes our drink order. She then brings out mine and DH's drink only, took our order. We asked her about our kids drinks and she said "Oh, oops, I'll bring them right out." We don't see her again.

A different waitress brings out our food, at this point, my boys still don't have their drinks, and we asked that waitress (We'll call her Martha) and she brings them right out. We notice that Jackie is peering out of the kitchen and into the dinning room. As soon as Martha walks away, Jackie comes by and asks if everything was ok. We asked her for napkins, A1, and more drink. She says ok, and never comes back.

Martha ended up filling our drinks, so we asked her for the napkins and A1. We notice Jackie peeking out into the dinning room again, and as soon as Martha brings the stuff we asked for and walks away, Jackie comes by and asks if everything is ok.

Then the boys wanted jelly for their biscuits. We asked Jackie a total of 5 times for some jelly, and we never got any. Martha came back by and filled our drinks, so we asked her. She brings the jelly right out. And then Jackie brought our bill to the table. Her name is on the bill as waitress and all (I almost had my doubts..lol).

When we left, instead of leaving a tip on the table...I hunted Martha down and gave her a $10 tip. She thanked me, but seemed sort of confused.

To me, Martha deserved the tip, and Jackie deserves....well, to lose her job, because she obviously wasn't doing it. We aren't the only table of hers that she neglected....and the guy at the table beside us actually cussed her as we were walking out of the dinning room.

by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Replies (41-45):
kansasmom1978
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I think you did the right thing.  I definitely would not have tipped Jackie. Or left her a penny.

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on May. 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM

She seriously watched while two different waitresses and even the hostess took care of her tables, and as soon as there was "nothing left to do," she'd walk out.....the guy at the table beside us went OFF on her. I was just starring.

I know that me and two others talked to the manager. We were offered a discount, but I declined. I wasn't looking for a discount, I just wanted him to be aware of the sourpuss...lol.

Quoting Pnukey:

Yeah, Jackie would not get any tip from me. I would have talked to the manager as well to make sure Martha got the tip instead and let him/her know what an awful job Jackie did. Also, Jackie sounds like a creeper, peeking out of the kitchen like that. Weirdo.

ceejay1_iz_back
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Years ago I worked at Denny's, LOVED IT, worked there for almost 9 yrs:)  We had a rule that was implemented, and I so loved this "rule".   After, serving the food, each waitress/waiter, was required to return to the table, no later than 2 minutes.  At that time, you took extra napkins, extra straws, and the water pitcher...you were required to ask how the food was, and if they needed anything else at that time.  It always worked, and also at that time a percentage of tips went to the Bus person, and Bartender IF they had one:)  The rule was that after the initial follow-up, you returned every 5 minutes to remove dishes, refill coffee, etc:)  Loved working there!!!

You did the right thing, I however(and we are all different), would have called both waitresses to the table at the same time, explained the situation and your feelings, and in their presence left the tip to the one who did the majority of the work...then upon paying, speak to the manager...this is just me, as an "old" gal, who loved waitressing:)

Momtimestwo
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Quoting IncognitoOne:

No. They put stars for years of service on the aprons, above the person's name. Martha had 5 stars, Jessica had one...trainees have the words "Rising Star."

I eat at Cracker Barrel WAY too often..lol.

Quoting CABZS:

Honestly it shounds as if Martha was being trained. 

That should have been explained to an extent, however, when I trained on the waitresses last day I let them go on their own & would check on tables & help out of the waitress needed it.  So we didn't always inform they were training.

So she could have been confused bc those in training still don't typically receive the tip, goes to the trainer.

Red aprons are the 'trainer's' aprons.  Everyone else has brown.  Stars are for the PAR level that the server is at.  Four is the maximum.  You are correct in newer employees being listed as 'rising stars'. 

As far as the other server bringing out the food, that will happen quite often since whoever is there when it's ready is required to bring it out.  As for the rest, your server was LAZY.  I would've done what you did.

Also, to whomever indicated that tips might be split at CB, they are not.

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on May. 3, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I knew it was something like that. I have a friend that has worked there since high school, and she explained it but it's been YEARS since she told me....but I'm still pretty sure there were 5 stars on that apron though...

And that's good that she doesn't have to split that tip with anyone.

Quoting Momtimestwo:

Quoting IncognitoOne:

No. They put stars for years of service on the aprons, above the person's name. Martha had 5 stars, Jessica had one...trainees have the words "Rising Star."

I eat at Cracker Barrel WAY too often..lol.

Quoting CABZS:

Honestly it shounds as if Martha was being trained. 

That should have been explained to an extent, however, when I trained on the waitresses last day I let them go on their own & would check on tables & help out of the waitress needed it.  So we didn't always inform they were training.

So she could have been confused bc those in training still don't typically receive the tip, goes to the trainer.

Red aprons are the 'trainer's' aprons.  Everyone else has brown.  Stars are for the PAR level that the server is at.  Four is the maximum.  You are correct in newer employees being listed as 'rising stars'. 

As far as the other server bringing out the food, that will happen quite often since whoever is there when it's ready is required to bring it out.  As for the rest, your server was LAZY.  I would've done what you did.

Also, to whomever indicated that tips might be split at CB, they are not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)