Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

13 years ago today

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM
  • 18 Replies
OKC was hit with a F5 tornado. At that time the twister had the strongest winds ever recorded..and that was the first time a F5 hit a major metro area.

That day started off with no threat of severe weather, then by mid morning changed to slight risk..few hours later moderate risk and then right before storms blew up a high risk.

People were caught off guard and took shelter under overpasses, including storm chaser Reed timmer.

That tornado and the 60+ others was the worst natural disaster event in Oklahoma history, but that okc storm is still regarded as a historic storm.

They feared hundreds would die as it entered the metro but amazingly only 46 people were killed. ( sad that anyone died, really)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kansasmom1978
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I remember Reed Timmer talking about that on one of his shows.  That was a horrible storm.  Unfortunately a few other metro areas have been hit since. Dallas area, Joplin MO, and Tuscoloosa.

mackQuin
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM
I know others have been, but okc was the first major metro to be hit.

People still talk about it. When someone says may 3rd everyone knows what they're talking about.

Right outside of tinker afb on sooner they dedicated a memorial park to victims and survivors. That area took a direct hit.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

I remember Reed Timmer talking about that on one of his shows.  That was a horrible storm.  Unfortunately a few other metro areas have been hit since. Dallas area, Joplin MO, and Tuscoloosa.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Yes, it was a sad day for OKC. I just remember seeing the news and saying " Holy crap OKC is huge and that is bad."

Quoting mackQuin:

People still talk about it. When someone says may 3rd everyone knows what they're talking about.

Right outside of tinker afb on sooner they dedicated a memorial park to victims and survivors. That area took a direct hit.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

mackQuin
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Yeah and it was just 4 years past the bombing. :(

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Yes, it was a sad day for OKC. I just remember seeing the news and saying " Holy crap OKC is huge and that is bad."

Quoting mackQuin:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I was in 10th grade when the bombing happen. I walked into World Lit and our teacher had a TV in her room and was watching the news.  I could do nothing but cry.

Quoting mackQuin:

Yeah and it was just 4 years past the bombing. :(

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Quoting mackQuin:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

sherry132
by Sherry on May. 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I was a storm chaser during that storm. My friend and I were amatures but we had a lot of education. We watched it start as a little cloud over Lawton/Ft. Sill and being bored we decided just to see what would happen. 

The EF-5 tornado that made a mile wide path in the OKC metro and Moore Oklahoma changed me for life. You can watch those things on TV, it looks exciting to chase, and at times it was. But that day, we knew people were dying, we knew we were watching them die, and I will never ever get the images I saw out of my mind, or the blind fear that my sister and her children were right in its path. The hysterical calls I tried to make to warn her to get out of there before it hit, only to receive her answering machine. The complete devastation that left me speechless, stunned, and numb for weeks afterward. My heart still cries for those who perished. 

Gary England's words still haunt me "People are going to die today...."

mackQuin
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Yep. And Mike Morgan on kfor he repeated oh my God..oh my God.as he watched it destroy moore.then he.was silent until he snapped back into it.

They are so adamant to get underground ..that you can't survive above ground in a f5 and this storm is exactly why.

Quoting sherry132:

I was a storm chaser during that storm. My friend and I were amatures but we had a lot of education. We watched it start as a little cloud over Lawton/Ft. Sill and being bored we decided just to see what would happen. 

The EF-5 tornado that made a mile wide path in the OKC metro and Moore Oklahoma changed me for life. You can watch those things on TV, it looks exciting to chase, and at times it was. But that day, we knew people were dying, we knew we were watching them die, and I will never ever get the images I saw out of my mind, or the blind fear that my sister and her children were right in its path. The hysterical calls I tried to make to warn her to get out of there before it hit, only to receive her answering machine. The complete devastation that left me speechless, stunned, and numb for weeks afterward. My heart still cries for those who perished. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Drama.Llama
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM
:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Drama.Llama
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Was you're sister ok?

Reading this made me cry. I don't think I could handle a situation like that. :(

Quoting sherry132:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by Sherry on May. 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM

They are adamant but the ground is clay and underground shelter is rare. Especially back then. When Gary was reporting his voice started quivvering. Being an Oklahoman sure changed us a lot between the bombing and that storm. 

Quoting mackQuin:

Yep. And Mike Morgan on kfor he repeated oh my God..oh my God.as he watched it destroy moore.then he.was silent until he snapped back into it.

They are so adamant to get underground ..that you can't survive above ground in a f5 and this storm is exactly why.

Quoting sherry132:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)