Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If someone told you that they had nothing positive to say about your child, how would you feel, and what would this make you think??

The reason for asking this question, my boyfriend of 6 years told me last night that he has nothing positive to say about my 16 year old son.  It really bothered me and I told him that by saying that he means he dosen't like my son at all. 

How would it make you feel and what would you think?  What should I do?

[[url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker][img]http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/923/2943/9232943.png[/img][/url]
  Created by MyFitnessPal.com - [url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com]Nutrition Facts[/url] For Foods

by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Replies (21-30):
Arwyn724
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I would ask for an explanation, evaluate what they had to say, acknowledge anything that might be true, work toward a solution.  If he was my man didn't come around he'd be packing.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I think it means that your son must have serious teenage attitude issues like most teenagers do.

When my step-dad came into our lives I was almost 13. We HATED each other for a while and then when I started to love him I told him and he told me that he couldn't lie to me and say he loved me when he didn't and he only loved my mom and little brother. It hurt but I didn't deserve his love.

He was very hard on us but he is also the best thing that happened to me in my life of living with my mom. He came in and straightened us out and made us into the people we are now.

LizzieAnnesMom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I would ask him why.

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM

even if you son didn't hear it your sons knows it by how your BF treats or talks to him. If my BF said that about my son. I would seriously be rethinking my relationship. He seriously can not think of 1 Positive thing. WOW !  That is a pretty ugly statement.

DixieL
by Dixie on May. 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I hope you don't get mad at me, but I would tell him to go to hell and get out of my house. When I was younger my mom would have boyfriiend's and if they didn't like us she would get rid of them. She is still that way today. I try to her that we are all grown up now and she can live her life being happy but she won't listen. She has and always will put us first. I'm not saying that about your case buy I think your boyfriend has a lot of nerve saying that about your son. If he can't find anything good to say then don't say anything al all. Good Luck

couponluv72
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM

i would verbally bank hand the asshat. you do not say that to a child's mother.

grammarpolice
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM

My son and him are not close.  After I ask him about why he said it, he said Im just saying I have nothing to say positive about being mechanically inclined.  But I cant get the first statement out of my head.

This is where we differ. You said he's your boyfriend of six years, so that means you got together with him when your son was ten. If anyone is going to get close to me, they will HAVE to be close to my children. They wouldn't have a choice, really, because my children are almost always with me, and anyhow, I wouldn't want to compartmentalize  my life. If I was with a boyfriend for six years, it would be a given that he & my children are very close.

nandbsmom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM

My son and him are not close...and my son really has never had a male figure around all the time except my dad.  His dad and I divorced when he was 4.  My son and bf are just totally different people, boyfriend very mechanical and loves hunting, my son loves sports.  They have nothing in common.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Depends on the situation. Did he have nothing positive to say at that moment, or ever? 

hautemama83
by Nichole on May. 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Sooo op are you going to explain why he said that, or how the conversation even came up. Or what type of relationship your son and bf have?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN