Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

IB schools

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:02 PM
  • 14 Replies
Anyone have their children in an IB school? Do you like it? Is it a magnet school or private? Oldest dd will be starting one for kindergarten this fall and we had the orientation yesterday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nomadbrat83
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Bump

nomadbrat83
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 6:32 PM

bump

AngelMama6203
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Our public elementary is an IB candidate school. I think the last I heard they decided not to pursue the IB status right now, but they're still using the IB curriculum.

ETA: There are some parents around here that think it's stupid and pointless, but I don't see a problem with it.

sugapie0305
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 6:46 PM

My girls go to an IB elementry school and it's public magnet school. I like the school and the teachers there.

Freebies & Samples - list of goodies throughout the week / SuperPoints ~ Win points to redeem for cash, Amazon Gift Cards and Merchandise / Swagbucks ~ see how I earn $25 Amazon gifts cards each month for free / Cash For Mama ~ easy ways to earn money for free / Make Money Online Free With Me ~ blog of job listings / PaidViewPoint ~ Get paid by taking surveys / Spoonful of Chocolate Sistah

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2012 at 7:09 PM

What is an IB school?  Please inform me.

nomadbrat83
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 7:21 PM
My oldest will start an IB public magnet elementary in the fall. Do you like the curriculum? I work for DJJ and have juveniles in IB middle schools but didn't have much experience with them for elementary. This school my daughter will be going to is one of the most sought after in the area and gets very high marks. They also have Spanish and violin starting in kindergarten.

Quoting sugapie0305:

My girls go to an IB elementry school and it's public magnet school. I like the school and the teachers there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nomadbrat83
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 7:22 PM
International Baccaluerette

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:24 PM
international baccalaureate
School. Basically they are at learning stuff at least 1-2 grades ahead. In HS 9th grade they are doing 10-11th grade material. By senior year they are doing sophomore college level school work.

My HS was one although I wasn't in it, it sure did make for some amazing tutors.

Eta: it was the largest public school in our district. We have 7 hs's. One we has an emphasis on law, 2 were magnet, ours was IB and fine arts, one was medical. We also had Regulars, AP, fine arts endorsement and IB in our school. I've never heard of IB elementary classes. In out distinct you go to the magnet middle schools usually to prepare for the IB program. Its very very hard.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sugapie0305
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 7:32 PM

My oldest is in 3rd grade and I do like the curriculum they have, but as the other mom says, it is further advanced.

Quoting nomadbrat83:

My oldest will start an IB public magnet elementary in the fall. Do you like the curriculum? I work for DJJ and have juveniles in IB middle schools but didn't have much experience with them for elementary. This school my daughter will be going to is one of the most sought after in the area and gets very high marks. They also have Spanish and violin starting in kindergarten.

Quoting sugapie0305:

baquick
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:35 PM
I wish the schools in my area did that. I would put ds in language and fine arts in a heart beat. The only thing they offer here is football when the kid is in the 3rd grade. Spanish in 7th grade lol. then again I'm in Texas. We live by our football LOL

Quoting nomadbrat83:

Quoting sugapie0305:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN