Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Four and a half year old peeing herself - help!

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:14 PM
  • 28 Replies

My four and a half year old has been potty trained for a year now. Lately she's been having tons of "accidents". Like at least three times a week. Two nights ago we took a bike ride around the block. We were gone for 20 minutes and we asked the kids if they had to potty before leaving. My three and a half year old DS went pee but four and ahalf year old DD said no. We get home and I tell them to get undressed. Low and behold she has pooped herself. I ask her if she pooped herself and why. At first she said she didn't and then she said she did but she didn't know why. I told her she can't go to school if she keeps doing this. Ten minutes ago she turns to go outside and I notice her butt is wet. I asked her if she peed herself and she said "No, Owen just peed on me". Yeah, right. Ugh! Last week she peed on herself and she said that our dog peed on her. I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do, but I am totally at my witts end with it! HELP!

by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaOfThree789
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:21 PM

BUMP!

billssweety
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I would take her to the ped and see if there is something going on.  My daughter had a birth defect that didn't display itself until my daughter was 5, but she a symptom of not potty training and had I paid attention to that we may have avoided a lot of other issues.  If not maybe it is just stress, any changes going on?

MamaLub
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:23 PM
It could be mental or physical. Has there been any big changes in the home recently?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Does she have any attention issues? Sometimes, if kids are hyper focused, as is often the case with ADHD or similar, they will wet themselves before they remember to get to the bathroom.

I would keep asking her about her life, but not directly about the peeing and pooping. Ask her if she still likes school (even I you think you know, ask her--she may surprise you) or of she feels safe at school/church/with daddy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaOfThree789
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:24 PM

We don't have any changes going on. I don't know if she gets too involved with what she's doing at the time and just doesn't care.. or what. I'll definitely talk to her doctor though.

Quoting billssweety:

I would take her to the ped and see if there is something going on.  My daughter had a birth defect that didn't display itself until my daughter was 5, but she a symptom of not potty training and had I paid attention to that we may have avoided a lot of other issues.  If not maybe it is just stress, any changes going on?

shortcakes13
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 3:25 PM
this was my question.. when we moved my dd (3 at the time) did the same thing...once everything settled down she was fine...

Quoting MamaLub:

It could be mental or physical. Has there been any big changes in the home recently?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaOfThree789
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:27 PM

She isn't in school yet. She starts in the fall. She's with me all the time and no recent changes. We bought our house six months ago. She hasn't see in her dad in almost a year but frequently talks about him so, I'm not sure if that is a factor.

Quoting Apollos82:

Does she have any attention issues? Sometimes, if kids are hyper focused, as is often the case with ADHD or similar, they will wet themselves before they remember to get to the bathroom.

I would keep asking her about her life, but not directly about the peeing and pooping. Ask her if she still likes school (even I you think you know, ask her--she may surprise you) or of she feels safe at school/church/with daddy.

Apollos82
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Hmm....perhaps she is just getting to distracted and not making it in time?

Quoting MommaOfThree789:

She isn't in school yet. She starts in the fall. She's with me all the time and no recent changes. We bought our house six months ago. She hasn't see in her dad in almost a year but frequently talks about him so, I'm not sure if that is a factor.

Quoting Apollos82:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaOfThree789
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:30 PM

The only recent "change" is we bought a new car a week and a half ago. We bought our current house and have been living here for about six months. As far as other changes, nothing comes to mind. We got new dogs a month and a half ago? This all started about three weeks or so ago. I'm just not sure.. :(

Quoting shortcakes13:

this was my question.. when we moved my dd (3 at the time) did the same thing...once everything settled down she was fine...

Quoting MamaLub:

MommaOfThree789
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM

This is what I was thinking, but it looked like she had pooped early in our bike ride and didn't say anything. And earlier she was just gonna go back outside and play. She always blames it on something else, her bothers, the dogs or just says I don't know as to why. I'm not sure if it's in fear of getting in trouble as she is sent to time out each time. Should I be skipping time out and doing something else? I'm just at a loss.

Quoting Apollos82:

Hmm....perhaps she is just getting to distracted and not making it in time?

Quoting MommaOfThree789:

Quoting Apollos82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN