Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Meet CafeMom's Featured Mom: singlemom1208

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM
  • 7 Replies

CafeMom is excited to announce a way we're featuring many of our terrific moms. Selected moms will respond to our "Mom of the Day" interview questions, and their interviews will then be posted in the group that they spend the most time in.

Our current featured mom, singlemom1208, spends most of her time in the CafeMom Newcomers Club and Mom Confessions groups.

1. What has been your defining moment as a mom so far? 

I guess I have a defining moment every day. For example this morning on our way to daycare, my son was telling me about the planets and how some of them have rings. I was amazed to hear this out of a 3 year old

2. What group do you most frequently hang out in on CafeMom? 

I most frequent newcomers and confessions.

3. What do you like most about CafeMom?

What I like most is all the different types of parents. There are so many ways to raise a child and it's neat to learn how other mamas do it. I've also learned about different lifestyles since joining.
4. A mom's spare time is precious (if it exists at all!). How do you spend yours? (Aside from on CafeMom, of course.) 

In my spare time I like to veg out in front of the tv. Lol
5. What are your favorites:
Book: A Child called "It" and A Brave New World. They're both great books!
Movie: Forrest Gump
Song: American Pie
Food: pizza
Travel: Anywhere there is a beach

6. Which celebrity mom would you most like to hang out with, and why?

I really look up to Angelina Jolie. I'd love to spend the day in her house and see how she does it.

7. If you could give a new mom one piece of advice, what would it be?

My advice to first time moms would be not to sweat the small stuff. None of us are perfect and love your children unconditionally.

8. If you had to choose, what single word best sums you up?

Honest

9. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? And if you work, what's your job?

When I was a child I wanted to run away with the circus, be a clown and marry a trapeze artist. I am a funeral director now.

Now answer her question for YOU:

How can I keep my child from having tantrums in the store??

by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
6kidz6grandkidz
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Redirect your childs attention when you see them start to wind up. I spy is a game I have used  successfully many times!

VintageWife
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

You have to assign him jobs or make a game out of it at the store. You could cut pics of food out of the ads and glue them on notecards. While you're at the store, give him a card and ask him to find that item. Or ask him to flip through the coupons and give you the one for the item you just put in the cart.

Oh yeah, make sure he's eaten and rested before you go.

singlemom1208
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Great idea!! We always eat before going to the grocery. Lol

Quoting VintageWife:

You have to assign him jobs or make a game out of it at the store. You could cut pics of food out of the ads and glue them on notecards. While you're at the store, give him a card and ask him to find that item. Or ask him to flip through the coupons and give you the one for the item you just put in the cart.

Oh yeah, make sure he's eaten and rested before you go.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isaiahbellamom
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Confessions and here, hmmmmmmm we know what you like. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PPMom
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Don't take them...lol!

No, really, use some grounding diversion technique. Point to smething and get them interested in it. Also, "Parenting with Love and Logic" (great book if you haven't read it) suggests making your kids pay for a babysitter out of their allowance money while you go to the store. It also suggests buddying up with a Friend or family member that you can call to come pick the kids up if they get unruly.

If they think they won't be included in the trip in the future...they will probably behave more peacefully! Good luck!
alwayskk
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Good morning :)

I started sitting my kids down before we went somewhere and talked about what we were going to do, what it would be like, and what I expect out of them.

I have a hand-clap thing I do to get my kids attention. It's actually just like I do at work with my school kids. I make a small clapping routine, then they have to repeat it to show me they are paying attention. It usually stops a tantrum before one starts.

I also have no problem telling my kids that if they are disrespectful, we won't be doing ____ or getting ______ or going ______. To me, it's not a bribe, just consequences for their behavior. I plan on going to the park every day but won't reward them with it if they are naughty.

I also give each one of them a 'job'. My DD is 'in charge' of the list. Sebastian is 'in charge' of keeping all the produce together, etc.

quilters854
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM

You can start by not giving in to him at home. 1. Continue this by not giving in to him anywhere., in spite of behavior. 2. When he really learns that he can't have anything he wants, no matter where he is,  he will stop it. 3. Reward him for good behavior, never bad. 4. Don't take him shopping if he can't behave. 5. This will not be easy, will take time and persistance on your part. Do not raise a spoiled brat. He will have many hard times in this life if you do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)