Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
If you found out your friend, sister, SIL, daughter, etc. was planning a home birth, what would you do/say to her?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Replies (151-160):
blessed107
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I would be excited because I've never known anyone to do it!

Kaybean
by Kayleen on May. 4, 2012 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Be supportive. That's how God made us to have babies. I would just suggest they make sure to be fully informed and prepared.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mistie900
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danni-Jean
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

My cousin did that,and I was present. It was the one of the best times of my life. To be their,and support her!  Id be so happy for her!

louzannalady
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Rock on! Congrats! : ) I would be thrilled! I have several friends who home birthed and will home birth with my next.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NinjaMomma
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM
2 moms liked this

If the hospital there sucks so badly and there isn't another one for an hour I'd suggest being prepared for a home birth at home, but try to set up a hotel birth closer to the better hospital.  We lived less than a mile from the hospital but I wouldn't step foot in there unless I needed real help.  They were horrid for labor and postpartum, but they have a good nicu and high section rate so if I needed their 'quality' care I'd go.

Quoting KaroGreenly:

Remind her of the quality of the "hospital" in our town and their inability to care for infants. Also remind her that should an emergency arise, it would likely be an hour before they could get real, quality, nicu care.

If she was still set on it, I would wish her luck and pray for the best.

saltyalley1227
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:15 PM
I'd be excited and ask if I could be there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM

lol
I do agree--
Why would anyone want to birth in a facility like that to begin with ??
Moms can reduce risks and plan to HB. 

Quoting NinjaMomma:

If the hospital there sucks so badly and there isn't another one for an hour I'd suggest being prepared for a home birth at home, but try to set up a hotel birth closer to the better hospital.  We lived less than a mile from the hospital but I wouldn't step foot in there unless I needed real help.  They were horrid for labor and postpartum, but they have a good nicu and high section rate so if I needed their 'quality' care I'd go.

Quoting KaroGreenly:

Remind her of the quality of the "hospital" in our town and their inability to care for infants. Also remind her that should an emergency arise, it would likely be an hour before they could get real, quality, nicu care.

If she was still set on it, I would wish her luck and pray for the best.

confused

louzannalady
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM
It isn't about seeking joy. It is about seeking the safest delivery possible- studies are showing low risk births have safer outcomes for mom and baby outside of hospitals.

Quoting Allisonc7910:

I would try to persuade my daughter to do it at a birth center or a good hospital in which she likes out of concern for her.  Many hospital births can be an enjoyable experience.  It would make me nervous but I would support her if she insisted.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Why not?
   There are coping strategies for everything.    
And if you aren't prepared to cope and expect something else to do it for you then it's understandable that you see This as making it "more enjoyable."    But natural coping techniques can not only bring bliss, pleasure, reduce-eliminate pain, they also have no risks.   The epidural risks are dangers that we can certainly avoid;  many alternatives

Quoting Torienslilmama:

Nothing can help u cope with that.... i was in labor for 17 hrs..my dr didnt realize till the end that my sons head would never fit past my pubic bone.......truuuuust me it was necessary. ......... plus it helps u enjoy ur experience wayyy more

Quoting doulala:

Yes it can certainly feel intense, no doubt!
    The point there is alternative coping strategies to choose from, many are risk-free.     Homebirthing moms especially get into these for sure.

:-)

Faith, Acceptance, Surrender         ~Unknown

Fear can be overcome only by Faith.         ~Dr. Grantly Dick-Read

Rain, after all is only rain; it is not bad weather. So also, pain is only pain; unless we resist it, then it becomes torment.            ~I Ching

If I don't know my options, I don't have any.          ~Diana Korte

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN