Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So just a curiousity question..more and more people i know that are dating constantly call each other husband and wife, when they are not.  My bf and I have been together for 2 years, live together and I'm pregnant with his first child however he is not my husband! not yet anyway lol I guess it's mostly on FB I see this.  My cousins bf just said something this morning on FB about his "wife", and they are in no way married.  They aren't the only ones I've noticed doing this sooo is this the new normal thing or do I just know some weird people?? lol

by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Replies (391-394):
mcsmom1
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Quoting trishasjunebug:

Well I think it's awesome your parents stayed together that long! That's true love, marriage don't make a couple ANY better than another couple...that was very very immature of her to pull the "my parents are better than yours" I'm sure if you dad didn't pass you're parents would of been together for many many more years!

Quoting mcsmom1:

Quoting audreesmama:

WOW. mik1of3, you are a total winner. Very mature of you..."my mommy's better than your mommy!". 

I'm really hoping there's a "JK" at the end of this post, and you're not just this immature. I have a feeling that while your parents taught you to stay with someone forever once you're married, they did not teach you humility, kindness or just plain common sense. I guess they were spending too much time fawning over those wedding bands. 

I don't care if you are married or not--if you stay with someone you love regardless of legal ties, that's awesome. Married or not, 47 or 50 years, undying love is fantastic. How about if you get your head out of your ass and just admit that it's awesome that her parents have stayed together? Geez woman.

Quoting mik1of3:

Quoting mcsmom1:

Meh, whatever.

My parents shacked up for 47 years until my father died in October. They technically weren't married but everyone thought they were (they shared the same last name for all of those years) and CA is not a common law state. So what? Those of you that make such a big deal of it...let me know when your marriage makes it 47 years or "Until Death Do You Part".

So what about your parents?  My parents will celebrate 50 years of MARRIAGE next year.   My dad actually loved my mom enough to make her his family in the eyes of society and God...and to legitimize his kids, which, back when we were born, (65,69, and 74) was very important.  You think your parents are better than everyone elses because they shacked up for so long?  Well, I think mine are better than everyone elses because not only are they still married, but they still think the other hung the moon.  

audreesmama, thank you for the reply. I have no desire to get into any type of one-upping game with someone like her. I suppose I could have responded with, "I'm certain my parents would still be shacking up at 50 years but MY FATHER DIED, YOU HEARTLESS CUNT."  It just didn't seem appropriate, you know?

Thank you!

AntzMom24
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I have noticed that too. I just chalk it up to being the only thing missing is that piece of paper saying that they're married. They'll get it time, most likely. My aunt and uncle have been together for over 20 years and they still don't have that piece of paper, yet they consider each other their husband or wife. It's just a piece of paper. 

mrs.bledsoe
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I always reply and say something along the lines of "When did u get married? Congrats" and then they look stupid when they say they arent lol. I called DH hubby during the last few weeks of our engagement but we were literally around the corner from being married

ruhappytoseeme
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:42 PM

On places like facebook or any social network there are many strange people sending messages about how they are in love with you, or want to meet you (people NOT on friends lists) and to put you are married to (whoever is said bf/gf) it stops a lot of the pervs from sending messages, not always tho, told a guy I was married and he answered with SOOOOOO??? I said I loved my husband and would never cheat and he said "I only want to meet you, we dont live that far away, who knows maybe somehting can come of it" no matter how many times I said I was happily married he didnt stop. so I blocked him LOL but any way some just put married to keep from getting hit on by strangers (which to me is much more annoying then someone calling their gf/bf hubby or wife ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)