Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So just a curiousity question..more and more people i know that are dating constantly call each other husband and wife, when they are not.  My bf and I have been together for 2 years, live together and I'm pregnant with his first child however he is not my husband! not yet anyway lol I guess it's mostly on FB I see this.  My cousins bf just said something this morning on FB about his "wife", and they are in no way married.  They aren't the only ones I've noticed doing this sooo is this the new normal thing or do I just know some weird people?? lol

by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Replies (21-30):
Benjamins-mama
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:30 PM
2 moms liked this

in my opinion it sounds ridiculous when somoene calls their boyfriend their husband.  um hello if he was your husband you would be married   not dating. 

mama2beautiesnb
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 6:32 PM
3 moms liked this
My boyfriend and i have been together for twelve yrs off and on. Between us there's 3 kids. He's "the husband" and i'm "the wife" when we refer to each other to other ppl. It's not really that big of a deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kit_manson
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Honestly nobody will take you seriously if you say boyfriend/girlfriend. It sounds temporary and puerile.  I use SO on here for the most part, but in person and elsewhere, significant other sounds... cold.  We don`t use titles with eachother, just names. But yes, I consider him my husband. Also, the requirements for common law status are different everywhere.

motherslove82
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I see it on CM a lot, too. Drives me nuts. If you want to claim that someone is your husband, why not just get married?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Well just the terminology to me is stupid. So ya- I don't take people very serious if they have baby daddies. Or 31 yo's with'girlfriends'. Idk- just me!!

And we're married now, 5 years this aug and it's the same as it ever was even before.

So maybe for you it was more serious but for us it's the same amount of seriousness lol.

Quoting CheyanneW:

Having been through a divorce I can say that being married is more serious. Is that why you used the term husband/wife? Were you worried that others wouldn't think you're serious?

Quoting AM-BRAT:

When we had our first, she was a surprise.

We decided to stick it out and be a family. We did get married when she was 1, but until then he always referred to me as wife.

At the time we were 25 and 31. We'd look like idiots if we referred to eachother as baby mama and baby daddy lol. Girlfriend/ boyfriend sounds juvenile and fiance *I* just hate.

It is what it is, and married sounds more serious if you're already a family. As for kids saying husband/ wife I guess that is annoying.

Jmo!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annas_momma
by 1 Crazy Momma ♥ on May. 3, 2012 at 6:45 PM
I agree. My sister and her boyfriend call each other husband and wife. I don't care if they have been together for almost 6 years...hell, they aren't even engaged.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

It annoys me to no end... but it has become more and more the norm for boy friends and girl friends to call each other husband or wife.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
things4us5
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:46 PM

it is annoying if your not in a commited relationship.

My man and I ARE in a commited relationship, we are not married though. Consider each others children our own, and I am pregnant with our child currently.

We are both divorced though, and occassionly slip up and refer to each other as 'my husband' or 'my wife'.

AM-BRAT
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 6:46 PM
I should add- we were living as married folks.

Joint checking, cars in both names, a kid, etc. so to us it was the same thing.

We didn't even have a ceremony lol. It was all as it was the whole time.

Quoting CheyanneW:

Having been through a divorce I can say that being married is more serious. Is that why you used the term husband/wife? Were you worried that others wouldn't think you're serious?

Quoting AM-BRAT:

When we had our first, she was a surprise.

We decided to stick it out and be a family. We did get married when she was 1, but until then he always referred to me as wife.

At the time we were 25 and 31. We'd look like idiots if we referred to eachother as baby mama and baby daddy lol. Girlfriend/ boyfriend sounds juvenile and fiance *I* just hate.

It is what it is, and married sounds more serious if you're already a family. As for kids saying husband/ wife I guess that is annoying.

Jmo!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Evonavich
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
The song, if you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it. Hahaha

Quoting Gossipfoodie28:

I'm married now, but wouldn't call him my husband before that. It was matter of principle, put a ring on it and make it legit! Otherwise, you're my boyfriend. Don't have a problem with other people doing it, but my personal preference.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna.June
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Dh and I were common law for a few years. We would introduce each other as husband and wife. Now, we really are married.

I can't stand the words "hubby" and "wifey". Got on my nerves in high school, still gets on my nerves now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN