Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So just a curiousity question..more and more people i know that are dating constantly call each other husband and wife, when they are not.  My bf and I have been together for 2 years, live together and I'm pregnant with his first child however he is not my husband! not yet anyway lol I guess it's mostly on FB I see this.  My cousins bf just said something this morning on FB about his "wife", and they are in no way married.  They aren't the only ones I've noticed doing this sooo is this the new normal thing or do I just know some weird people?? lol

by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Replies (31-40):
wrensong
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

My sister did that crap...she even put her bfs last name as hers and ppl kept calling me asking when she got married.

Unless there is a marriage liscense, and a ceremony of some sort you are not married.

The ONLY exception I see to this is same sex couples who have a ceremony but cannot do the legal part of it. If they have a commitment ceremony then I can see them refering to each other as a spouse

JBbean
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:16 AM

We're common law. I got so used to calling him my husband legally that it just stuck. We've been together for 4 years and have a 5 month old together. HOWEVER, I get annoyed when anyone who isn't common law and don't share the same legalities that married people do their husband or wife.

rancharobeans
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:16 AM

I think it's a young people thing... 

louzannalady
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this
It is a more recent thing. I think it's absurd. I honestly get annoyed at people when I hear them say that and I know they are not married. Playing house is NOT the same as being married.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KJones413
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM

The term is just more endearing than bf or gf. I dont think anything of it if i already know the true situation.

Seagodess
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I've only noticed it (and not on FB) for people who have been together for many many years. I have a friend who's been with her man for almost 20 years, has 5 kids with him and she usually calls him her hubby.

kit_manson
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:21 AM

What about common law couples?

Quoting wrensong:

My sister did that crap...she even put her bfs last name as hers and ppl kept calling me asking when she got married.

Unless there is a marriage liscense, and a ceremony of some sort you are not married.

The ONLY exception I see to this is same sex couples who have a ceremony but cannot do the legal part of it. If they have a commitment ceremony then I can see them refering to each other as a spouse

The first rock thrown again,
Welcome to Hell, Little Saint

Mother Gaia in slaughter,
Welcome to Paradise, Soldier

Mama2ETA
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Honestly, I dont know anyone that actually does that, and I've never seen it except people talking about it on CM. I guess I cant say if it's norm everywhere, but not here.

kit_manson
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM

What makes it playing house? The "playing" part would imply they're not serious...

Quoting louzannalady:

It is a more recent thing. I think it's absurd. I honestly get annoyed at people when I hear them say that and I know they are not married. Playing house is NOT the same as being married.

The first rock thrown again,
Welcome to Hell, Little Saint

Mother Gaia in slaughter,
Welcome to Paradise, Soldier

Uhura
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:24 AM

It's not just on FB. I have a pair of friends who do the same thing and they've done it for years.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)