Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

HELP!!! Breast and bottle feeding.

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:39 PM
  • 27 Replies
Ok my son is 6 weeks and I have been ebf and been putting him on bottles so when I go back to work its not so hard. Well now he has to take bottles most of the day and I have to fight him to breast feed. My question is if I esclusivly pump instead of going back and forth will I still produce milk for him or will it ruin my supply
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jrp0606
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I exclusively pumped not out of choice. You can do it but it is seriously hard work you will be making it a LOT harder on yourself and also increasing your chances of needing to supplement with formula.

When you exclusively pump it is much harder to maintain your supply and rebuild it after regulations. You have to be obsessive and I mean obsessive. I had an extra pump and parts in my car. I pumped at ds baseball games, I had to leave parties to go sit in the car and pump. It's a pain in the arse having to remember to take bottles AND a pump every where you go. Last summer there were no days on the boat because there was no where I could pump its not like nursing where you can be discreet everyone hears the dying cow.

If it was me I would stop bottles. While you are there nurse baby. Other people can give him bottles but you nurse. You know he can nurse the bottle is just easier. Do lots of skin to skin and offering the breast to get him back to nursing for you.

Trust me I nursed my first for 18 months and I pumped for 13 months. Nursing is a million times easier
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

dont go that route. yopur supply will go down. when do you go back to work? get him back on the breast and use the bottles only for when your not there. i excluseively pumped and it was a nightmare

lynettemommie4
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I tried it and failed but i had a newborn and hubby was overseas so i was doomed from the start. good luck! with my second one my supply ended up drying up so breastfeeding was just hard for me.

tennisgal
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

HOnestly, it is different in every case. Lots of women exclusively pump, no problems, but then some women really can't pump anything, but are able to sufficiently nurse. You'll just have to see what works for you. I recommend you continue trying to nurse him. It will help to keep your supply up.

kmjmlj
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM
My little one was opposite I nursed from the start 100% of the time I decided to go to a bottle just to give me a break once a day breast were a little sore no not a chance she wouldn't take a bottle I tried every brand nipple you name it they said make her she'll eat when hungry nope she didn't but would take a sippy cup of water never my milk at 5 months I nursed till a year old good luck but I would say nurse when can to produce better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaDee83
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Breast shield worked perfectly for me! I had a lot of problems with breastfeeding bot kids in the beginning because of bottle feeding - my son was jaundice and so I pumped and they made me supplement, and then my daughter was premature, so I pumped and supplemented. The babies got so used to feeling plastic that I had to use the breast shields both times. No problems with supply when using them, and you can get them at babies r us. I recommend the contact breast shields by Medela :-) good luck!
jrp0606
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:10 PM
If you can why don't you see of you can get an appointment with a lactation consultant.

Before introducing shields etc why don't you speak to a professional. Yes shields work great for some moms but they can also hurt your supply, yes some mom can exclusively pump others struggle.

Your BEST CHANCE for long term breastfeeding success is to keep it as mother nature designed it as much as possible. Pumps and bottles are great tools when you are away from baby but nothing is as efficient as a baby at keeping building and maintaining your supply. Plus when you nurse on a regular basis you have better feed back allowing your milk to be made to meet your babies exact needs. At 6 weeks with a history of nursing you can still get baby to breast whenever you are there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newlove4lyfe
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:38 PM
I went back to work today he's 6 weeks and getting him from Breast to bottle is almost impossible nowadays he cries to the point of passing out. I mean I wanna breast feed but dealing with the screaming and fighting is impossible I'm not being lazy but one can only take so much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newlove4lyfe
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Really? I never thought of that thanks I'm sorry I'm at wits end now

Quoting MamaDee83:

Breast shield worked perfectly for me! I had a lot of problems with breastfeeding bot kids in the beginning because of bottle feeding - my son was jaundice and so I pumped and they made me supplement, and then my daughter was premature, so I pumped and supplemented. The babies got so used to feeling plastic that I had to use the breast shields both times. No problems with supply when using them, and you can get them at babies r us. I recommend the contact breast shields by Medela :-) good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newlove4lyfe
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM
I have talked to lc he looks good he latches great pump every two hours ect...but when your baby is crying from hunger and won't take your breast you tent to reach out to other moms I'm doing everything possible to keep up with "nature" but I can't do so working 10+ hours a day. And no im not trying to sound like a b word

Quoting jrp0606:

If you can why don't you see of you can get an appointment with a lactation consultant.

Before introducing shields etc why don't you speak to a professional. Yes shields work great for some moms but they can also hurt your supply, yes some mom can exclusively pump others struggle.

Your BEST CHANCE for long term breastfeeding success is to keep it as mother nature designed it as much as possible. Pumps and bottles are great tools when you are away from baby but nothing is as efficient as a baby at keeping building and maintaining your supply. Plus when you nurse on a regular basis you have better feed back allowing your milk to be made to meet your babies exact needs. At 6 weeks with a history of nursing you can still get baby to breast whenever you are there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN