Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

OMG, I'm in love with hair chalking! (PIC heavy) Update

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:23 PM
  • 125 Replies
1 mom liked this

Okay so someone made a post a few days asking about it and I found this tutorial online.

I went and picked up the pastels and I had been meaning to give it a try. Now today I was a sweaty mess and I'm taking a shower before bed so I thought it was the perfect time to try it out. I think I'm addicted!

Now keep in mind, my hair is not "done" lol But the colors came out so brilliant and it took no time at all. I have shorter hair than the girl in the video, so maybe this is just for short haired people, but I found it easier to apply when the hair was not twisted.

OMG I'm so super excited. lol It also didn't make that much of a mess, or really any mess. I put a towel around me and I spend maybe 5 minutes on it. I skipped the gloves and the chalk came off with a little soap and warm water, but I think if I were going out I might want the gloves to make life easier. Any way, just thought I'd share. I wasn't sure if it would work on red hair, colors tend to look terrible on me unless they are bleached first because they mix with red, also my box didn't have white chalk, so I just put on the color I was using.

*Okay if you don't want to run all over town trying to find these, I found them for a GREAT price online and much better colors than what I got. I'll be ordering these.

http://www.dickblick.com/items/20084-1019/?wmcp=google&wmcid=items&wmckw=20084-1019&gclid=CJKr75jb5a8CFYoDQAodYw-K3Q

$6.29
Update * so I just washed my hair and it all came out with no problem.

Since this got bumped today, I'll update with a better picture.

I have found that hard pastels work better than soft pastels but there are not as many bright color choices and they are quite a bit more expensive. Mine were $9.00 for like 8 or 10 colors and I would only use maybe 3 or 4 of those colors on my hair because the rest were dark. The soft pastels come off easier, like if I run my hands through my hair they are likely to get a bit of chalk on them.

Photobucket   Photobucket

Be kind to me or treat me mean, I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine.

by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
laurenb1
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:25 PM
How long does it last
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM

BUMP!

mommybug77
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM
How much was it, where did you get it?
KitschyGirl
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Quoting laurenb1:

How long does it last

I think just until you wash it, unless you have blond hair then some say it can last a couple of days. I'll wash it in a little while and let you guys know if it all came out or not.

Be kind to me or treat me mean, I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine.

DamianaFire
by Damiana on May. 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM
I love it!!!! Very cute....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
Quoting laurenb1:

How long does it last

I think it washes right out
laurenb1
My hair is black, brown, blonde and purple haha

Quoting KitschyGirl:

Quoting laurenb1:

How long does it last

I think just until you wash it, unless you have blond hair then some say it can last a couple of days. I'll wash it in a little while and let you guys know if it all came out or not.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KitschyGirl
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Quoting mommybug77:

How much was it, where did you get it?

Micheals was out of just about every soft pastel you could buy, I'm assuming I'm not the only one in to this. :) They had a basic box for 9.99, then more colors for 19.99 then a mega box for 39.99. I ended up buying hard pastels, and I got the last box. Those are more expensive, not as bright and colorful and cost me 19.99. That being said, it will take me forever to use them up.

taKENheart
by Flovely on May. 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM

That's cool!  I've never seen that before.  I'll have to ask my dd if she wants to try it.

KitschyGirl
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Quoting DamianaFire:

I love it!!!! Very cute....

I'm super excoted because bright colors like that cost a ton for me to get done because of the double process, and they always fade pretty quickly. This is a fun way to change it up all the time with the expectation that is will be temporary. Also, if my 4 year old wants to do it, it's not a big deal to me. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)