Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Termination of Parents Rights--

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you feel that it means the parent is unfit and not able to properly care for the child?

Options:

yes

No

I don't know

other

Depends on if it is a voluntary or not voluntary termination

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 101

View Results

When you hear this --What do you think of??

by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Replies (41-44):
babie113
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Someone who for whatever reason can't parent anymore.not always unfit. Perhaps other priorities at the time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HousewifeNina
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Quoting lifeisajoy:

A child/teen with a behavioral/mental health issue which is extreme danger to family and family did all possible and above and beyond---

Quoting HousewifeNina:

Quoting lifeisajoy:

I think it depends on the situation-I don't feel that it is always the parent is unfit and not able to properly care for the child

What would be an example of it not being for a parent being "unfit"?

1st reaction was to agree.  But if my 10 yr old, God forbid, had these issues, I'd use our health insurance to have him committed, right?

yezay
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:01 PM
I usually think either the parent doesn't care, is unfit, or got screwed in court.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HouseKatof2
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Quote:

Quoting lifeisajoy:

does not always mean they are unwilling/unable to be a good parent it could be above and beyond danger the child is presenting to others in household--and parents could of done everything possible-rare but happens

Quote:

Quoting HouseKatof2:

Quote:

Quoting lifeisajoy:

Don't agree-but that is ok--

Quote:

Quoting HouseKatof2:

There are only two reasons that people have their parental rights terminated. They are unable or unwilling to be a good parent. Either way, it makes them unfit.

Why?

Why else would someone have their parental rights terminated? 

1un·fit

adj \-ˈfit\

Definition of UNFIT

: not fit:
a: not adapted to a purpose : unsuitable
b: not qualified : incapable, incompetent

That would fall into the "unable" category. It still makes them unfit to parent that child. Being unfit for certain/special circumstances is still unfit. While in most circumstances the term "unfit" carries a negative impression, it doesn't change the overall reality that if you cannot care for your child, no matter the circumstances, you are unfit.

You can replace that word with any synonym you feel sounds better (i.e. incapable, inept, incompetent, unqualified, unable, etc.), at the end of the day it all means the same.     

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)