Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Having a childs memorial at a bar, Seriously?!?!

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:09 AM
  • 11 Replies

Maybe Im looking at this the wrong way but I think its actually disrespectful. This 4 yr old little girl passed away about 2 wks ago that lives in the same town I Iive in. I have a lot mutual friends w/her parents on FB so I kinda knew what was going on from everyone sharing details and asking for prayers. They had a funeral for her, then a candle light vigil at the town courthouse, and a spagetti dinner. I didnt personally go to to any of these but the uncle of the little girl posted a comment on FB saying that he was disappointed in the funeral bc it was treated more like a rap concert than a childs funeral. I later saw pics and it was sad to see baggy jeans, clubbing shirts, and bandannas everywhere and even people posing on top of cars. Then the little girls father posted a video in memory of his daughter that he personally recorded w/friends playing a song called "swerve, at the same damn time" And its pretty much 4 or 5 cars swerving all over the road hanging the window and they even almost hit an oncoming vehicle. Now tonite he is hosting a memorial at the local bar for her til 2am and surprisingly a lot people put that they were attending. I was disturbed by this but maybe Im just being rediculous since no one else seemed to have a problem w/it. I know everyone deals w/pain differently and maybe this is his way of handling it. But its just nagging at me and I wanted to get it off my chest.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meagan0716
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:13 AM
What happen to the girl. I could see toasting a adult friend how passed. But not a child. And your right people grieve in different ways.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saucykitty22
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Cause of death is unknow right now. She collapsed and was in a coma for 8 days before passing away :(

Quoting meagan0716:

What happen to the girl. I could see toasting a adult friend how passed. But not a child. And your right people grieve in different ways.

meagan0716
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:17 AM
Thats so sad.

Quoting saucykitty22:

Cause of death is unknow right now. She collapsed and was in a coma for 8 days before passing away :(

Quoting meagan0716:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:47 AM

The parents sound young and perhaps they are trying to celebrate a young life that was cut short..  I agree with you though about poor song choice and the seemingly lack of respect for occasion.

boysmom5
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:52 AM
I know people grieve in different ways, but this is a poor way to pay respects to a child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofpreemieboy
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:54 AM

I too agree with you

Quoting frndlyfn:

The parents sound young and perhaps they are trying to celebrate a young life that was cut short..  I agree with you though about poor song choice and the seemingly lack of respect for occasion.

grey7399
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:49 AM

Sounds more like a money making deal.

beerebelly
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:04 AM
1 mom liked this

The whole thing sounds ghetto

momdoes
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:09 AM

I have a friend who lost all three of her children in a house fire about five years ago. None were over the age of 8 I think. Her parents had a memorial/benefit at a bar. I found nothing wrong with that because it was alot of adults that attended with a few children in tow. (the adults with kids had left early tho)

The thing is, my friend was/is a known partier, and so is most of her close circle of friends and family so the bar was an obvious choice. Sounds to me that these people in this post are young and that is the lifestyle they live so it is fitting for them. Would I do it? No.

BraydensMama163
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Sounds stupid and ignorant. People grieve in different ways, true, nut that's absurd. Ugh.
Poor baby, that's terribly sad that she's passed. Keep us updated if you find out the cause of death. Even though her parents seem like idiots ill still say a prayer for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)