Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Awkward trip to the OB/GYN maybe tmi

Posted by   + Show Post
I dread the OB/GYN. I mean who liked it. I get anxiety attacks sitting in the room draped in paper waiting for the awkwardness.

Last visit I had the female MD, that was 2 years ago. Today I had the male MD and though I'm not really gender biased I've had male MDs before but today was weird.

First off. When he does his initial assessment he touched my stomach with his open palm and gives it a jiggle and says "I need to get you to exercise!".

Then he sits on the table behind me and started feeling my lymph nodes. He then whispers "that's a good girl" and tugs on my ponytail and gave my shoulders a rub.

Then comes the part I hate. The PAP. He's like "let's have a lay down. Be a good girl, relax and open your legs up nice and wide." Reluctantly I comply, weirded out and anxious over the whole stupid exam.

And then he checks my cervix and I hate it. He's like "atta girl, deep breath in and out...just like that. That's my girl."

I'm sure I'm over reacting...but I felt violated and just completely irked afterwards. I've never felt that way before after an OB appt and I've had 2 kids.

So I'm just wondering if this sounded a bit off...or am I just being crazy. I am sure he was just trying to be nice and comforting and I took it the wrong way. I am not accusing him of sexually harassing me or anything I just would prefer a little bit more professionalism and distance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:10 AM
Replies (101-103):
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Wow, that is creepy. I can't have a female gyn, no thanks. I love my gyn though, he's always professional and very nice. As far as having a nurse in the room, they give us a form to sign yearly stating whether or not we want someone present during exams. I put down no, I don't like females looking at me down there. The less ppl the better, lol.
celestegood
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:25 PM

They must have one with them.....it opens them up to lawsuits if they don't have one.

My last ob that I had forever would sit and wait for his nurse to get there for the exam.

Quoting 4everJs:

Nope

Quoting CocoBeen:

Was there a nurse or other female assisntant in there? They always do that where I Dr.

rgba
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:12 PM
That's odd. I am at Kaiser, and the nurse even comes in when a female OB does the exam.

You need to report him asap. That was completely inappropriate.

Quoting 4everJs:

That is weird. I've never had a nurse present in any OB exam. I had both my babies with kaiser an just recently switched to a private practice. In kaiser I had a male twice because my female md wasn't on duty. There wasn't a nurse present.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)