Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Awkward trip to the OB/GYN maybe tmi

Posted by   + Show Post
I dread the OB/GYN. I mean who liked it. I get anxiety attacks sitting in the room draped in paper waiting for the awkwardness.

Last visit I had the female MD, that was 2 years ago. Today I had the male MD and though I'm not really gender biased I've had male MDs before but today was weird.

First off. When he does his initial assessment he touched my stomach with his open palm and gives it a jiggle and says "I need to get you to exercise!".

Then he sits on the table behind me and started feeling my lymph nodes. He then whispers "that's a good girl" and tugs on my ponytail and gave my shoulders a rub.

Then comes the part I hate. The PAP. He's like "let's have a lay down. Be a good girl, relax and open your legs up nice and wide." Reluctantly I comply, weirded out and anxious over the whole stupid exam.

And then he checks my cervix and I hate it. He's like "atta girl, deep breath in and out...just like that. That's my girl."

I'm sure I'm over reacting...but I felt violated and just completely irked afterwards. I've never felt that way before after an OB appt and I've had 2 kids.

So I'm just wondering if this sounded a bit off...or am I just being crazy. I am sure he was just trying to be nice and comforting and I took it the wrong way. I am not accusing him of sexually harassing me or anything I just would prefer a little bit more professionalism and distance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:10 AM
Replies (91-100):
clippingmom
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

That is EXTREMLY unprofessional!!! I have had the same ob for 30 years he has delivered 4 out of my 5 kids. He still ALWAYS has his nurse in there no exceptions. I worked for a doctor once whom randomly chose whether I was in the room during paps I later found out he had issues with keeping his pants zipped up I would request NOT to see him again!!! I do not think you are overreacting.

Quoting 4everJs:

Nope

Quoting CocoBeen:

Was there a nurse or other female assisntant in there? They always do that where I Dr.

acaisha
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM

uh i would report him thats completely weird and innappropriate

ShellGardner
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Yeah sounds like a weirdo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on May. 4, 2012 at 12:12 PM

sounds completely inappropriate. the 'jiggling' of the belly and tugging on your pony tail completely unprofessional. as for the "good girl" and "that's my girl" and garbage, very inappropriate.

sounds way off. i'd call and complain and definitely keep track of your doctors so you know who to request and who to deny!

Jasminemomof3
by (Queen of Laughter) on May. 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM

whoa whoa whoa that is throwing red flags all over the place here and there....that is more than akward...thats inappropriate

art.diva
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I have a neurologist that is in his 60's, and he is very touchy-feely; he'll rub my arm or back as I'm getting on the exam table.  But it doesn't seem so creepy as it does old-school.  However, what the OP's doctor did was just full of the uh-oh feelings...lol

Quoting kiowaqueen:

Is he old he souunds old lol like old school.....

lifehappy
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Yeah...just reading that gave me the heebie-jeebies; I am so sorry you went through that. You need to call and report him; his behavior was very unprofessional, inappropriate, and reall fucking creepy.

-KC-
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Thats why I have a female for a obgyn
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KZ_MoMmA
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:17 PM
I thought any dr. Was suppose to have a nurse standing to the side of him/her.
That is how it has been for me

Quoting rgba:

This

Quoting Mommynwife26:

Uh yea that's a little weird. I have had two male ob/gyn didn't he have a female nurse in there with him? I thought there always had to be a female nurse in the room at the same time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
osubucksbaby
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Ok this made me feel violated just reading it...

Sorry that happened mama :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)