Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

would you consider a child with asthma to be a special needs child?

Posted by   + Show Post
The military base is holding a support group for parents of special needs children. Hubs captain made him aware of the meeting because our son is in the Efmp program. Its a program for families who have dependents who have issues requiring medical care.basically it ensures that should the military move you, they're not moving you to a place your family member can't go.

Anyway, I told dh that I'm not going to that meeting. I don't consider asthma to be a special need.

Dh shrugged his shoulders and said well. Its there if you want.to go.

Id feel like a dumbass. Parents who have truly special needs kids being there and when they call my name..oh he has asthma. Wouldn't that be a huge slap in the face to them??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:04 AM
Replies (91-98):
stefvan
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a daughter with severe asthma.  If, at any time, special accomodiations have to be made for his health and/or school work at school, then yes it is a special need.  There are different levels of special needs, but I still consider asthma a special need. 

mackQuin
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Quoting Thelmama:

It depends on the severity of the asthma and how it effects daily living etc.  My son's asthma used to be very severe.  Sometimes, just walking brought on an attack.  So it depends on the kid and how it effects them. He never let it stp  him though, LOL.  He has not had an asthma attack in 2 years!  Woot Woot.

that sounds like my poor kid. I hope his improves. his is terrible right now!

mitikusmom
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM

It depends.  My sister has very mild asthma as a child.  My mother did not need a support group for that.  However my niece's asthma requires daily nebs, she is sick constantly and has had several cases of pneumonia that have put her in the hospital.  On that end of the spectrum, i would consider that child special needs.

mackQuin
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mitikusmom:

It depends.  My sister has very mild asthma as a child.  My mother did not need a support group for that.  However my niece's asthma requires daily nebs, she is sick constantly and has had several cases of pneumonia that have put her in the hospital.  On that end of the spectrum, i would consider that child special needs.

I don't need a support group. The support group for parents of special needs children is where the EFMP coordinators are. I need to talk to them. But i got it figured out. I got my questions answered today without having to go! :)

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Mine has, thank you. From age 1 to age 9.5 it was horrid. He has not had any asthma issues for 2 years but the drs will not delcare it gone yet.  It has been beyond amazing to have him so well. I hope yours gets better soon to where he isn't so sick all the time.

Quoting mackQuin:

Quoting Thelmama:

It depends on the severity of the asthma and how it effects daily living etc.  My son's asthma used to be very severe.  Sometimes, just walking brought on an attack.  So it depends on the kid and how it effects them. He never let it stp  him though, LOL.  He has not had an asthma attack in 2 years!  Woot Woot.

that sounds like my poor kid. I hope his improves. his is terrible right now!

ambr2006
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Quoting 1LovelyAngel:

Quoting ambr2006:

Well it depend on the severity of his asthma. My son's asthma is severe. He can't cut grass, anything or play sports and he's 17. He hates how he can't be active and play basketball, his favorite sport. He's getting ssi but when he graduate from high school in 2013, we're dropping the ssi so he can go to college and live a great life. Asthma can be very dangerous, he's on an inhaler as well. he has to take it with him everywhere. When he goes swimming even in hot weather, my son will shake as if its 30 degrees outside, its no joke, and nothing to be played with. Asthma to me is not a handicap because if you're careful and do what your doctor tells you, everything will be fine and you can live a happy, healthy, productive life.

i understand where you coming from , i've been through it all with combo of things special needs ,heart problems,and asthma, and what some people don't understand you can lose your life from asthma

Oh yeah you can lose your life, but if you're careful and follow doctors orders, I feel you can live a healthy life with it. I would do anything to take it out of my son's body and deal with it myself. I hate to see him not be able to enjoy outside and play sports. During Spring time when all the pollen comes, he has a very hard time. We're in the ER three times a week.

nathansmommy331
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I have 2 efmp kids & I would welcome you there. Asthma affects breathing & you never know what could result from an attack. special needs ranges in all types of medical & educational needs. If you don't feel comfortable going to a group, I would at least suggest been apart of an online group. Think of it as having a good resource. Might I suggest  Military Special Needs Network  http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Military-Special-Needs-Network/191690567535621 This is a support group for EFMP families by EFMP families. This group has already started connecting with other EFMP groups across the country & will hopefully one day be international. If you or someone you know is EFMP please check it out!

1LovelyAngel
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Quoting ambr2006:

Quoting 1LovelyAngel:

Quoting ambr2006:

Well it depend on the severity of his asthma. My son's asthma is severe. He can't cut grass, anything or play sports and he's 17. He hates how he can't be active and play basketball, his favorite sport. He's getting ssi but when he graduate from high school in 2013, we're dropping the ssi so he can go to college and live a great life. Asthma can be very dangerous, he's on an inhaler as well. he has to take it with him everywhere. When he goes swimming even in hot weather, my son will shake as if its 30 degrees outside, its no joke, and nothing to be played with. Asthma to me is not a handicap because if you're careful and do what your doctor tells you, everything will be fine and you can live a happy, healthy, productive life.

i understand where you coming from , i've been through it all with combo of things special needs ,heart problems,and asthma, and what some people don't understand you can lose your life from asthma

Oh yeah you can lose your life, but if you're careful and follow doctors orders, I feel you can live a healthy life with it. I would do anything to take it out of my son's body and deal with it myself. I hate to see him not be able to enjoy outside and play sports. During Spring time when all the pollen comes, he has a very hard time. We're in the ER three times a week.

My friend died 2 years ago from it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN