Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

would you consider a child with asthma to be a special needs child?

Posted by   + Show Post
The military base is holding a support group for parents of special needs children. Hubs captain made him aware of the meeting because our son is in the Efmp program. Its a program for families who have dependents who have issues requiring medical care.basically it ensures that should the military move you, they're not moving you to a place your family member can't go.

Anyway, I told dh that I'm not going to that meeting. I don't consider asthma to be a special need.

Dh shrugged his shoulders and said well. Its there if you want.to go.

Id feel like a dumbass. Parents who have truly special needs kids being there and when they call my name..oh he has asthma. Wouldn't that be a huge slap in the face to them??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:04 AM
Replies (61-70):
1LovelyAngel
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Quoting Piskie:

Then I'd definitely go.
If other people have a problem with it, that's their problem. Your sons needs are severe enough to affect where you live.
He does have different needs to most people, and so you should go see what they can provide.

Quoting mackQuin:

Yes. His lung doctor put those restrictions on his efmp. So as a family we couldn't go to those places

It does affect where the military will allow son to go.

Quoting Piskie:

If they thought it was a slap in the face, that's their problem, not yours.

Does his asthma affect where you can go? I.e would he suffer if you were put somewhere very hot or at altitude?

You having a problem doesn't diminish any one else's.

I wouldn't put other peoples attitudes above the well being of my kid.

exactly, just like it's plenty of people that look normal but suffers from mental illness, i guess because they're not acting crazy nothing's wrong , but if you held a conversation you can tell something anit right, we're talking about a child lungs that has a disease that can kill him even though they take their meds , sometimes the meds don't respond

EmilyMarshall
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Yes

naumann24
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM
No I don't consider it that. I think if they play sports or what not it should be known that they have it, but its not special needs. When my husband was in the army we were stationed in el paso and my kids asthma flared up like crazy due to the sand, wind, and all over climate. I guess maybe if his asthma is bad enough, that yall might not want to be in a certain area than maybe I would go?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristyann
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Not really. My son has severe asthma and allergies. To the point of being hospitalized at least once a year, but no I don't consider him special needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on May. 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM

My Mother's oxygen tanks don't hinder her, as a matter of fact they've given her more freedom and a better quality of life.

Quoting emmy526:

would an oxygen tank on an asthmatic help change your mind?  That happened to my father....there are different classes of special needs people..not everyone is lumped together.  an asthmatic's special needs are obviously a lot different than someone who has autism and has their own special needs.  

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Thank you doctor.....my mother and son both suffer from asthma!  I know the risks, I still would not classify them in the same category as a special needs person.

Quoting emmy526:

it is life threatening when your asthma meds don't work and you are turning blue from lack of oxygen...an attack can come at any time for an asthmatic, even in situations where you think it is under control.  

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I have a child with Asthma and a child with Autism and I don't consider them in the same category at all.  Asthma is something you manage....not usually a life altering issue.

brettsmomma
by Tammie on May. 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM

My son has horrible allergy induced asthma and I do not consider that special needs. I consider it a medical condition. very different things IMO.

luckystars2012
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM
In terms of having support groups, sure, go ahead.

But not such a special need that they should be getting disability or whatever for it, except in rare extreme cases where it is completely debilitating.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LectioDivina
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Not if it affects what he can and cannot do in life

LectioDivina
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM

But obviously if you have an oxygen tank you have a special need and need to be differently careful than most when you go places

Quoting Dzyre1115:

My Mother's oxygen tanks don't hinder her, as a matter of fact they've given her more freedom and a better quality of life.

Quoting emmy526:

would an oxygen tank on an asthmatic help change your mind?  That happened to my father....there are different classes of special needs people..not everyone is lumped together.  an asthmatic's special needs are obviously a lot different than someone who has autism and has their own special needs.  

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Thank you doctor.....my mother and son both suffer from asthma!  I know the risks, I still would not classify them in the same category as a special needs person.

Quoting emmy526:

it is life threatening when your asthma meds don't work and you are turning blue from lack of oxygen...an attack can come at any time for an asthmatic, even in situations where you think it is under control.  

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I have a child with Asthma and a child with Autism and I don't consider them in the same category at all.  Asthma is something you manage....not usually a life altering issue.

Cookie-kisses
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't have asthma, but I have a chronic lung disease and breathing normally would be pretty awesome --I assume! I am not sure as I can't, but it sounds ideal. There are conditions and such that would have an impact on one's lung health. I wouldn't consider one with lung illness to be  healthy (normal). As you have to breathe every second of your life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)