Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Telling you cant leave during your break at work....

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:23 AM
  • 45 Replies
Is this even legal? You can't leave on your break even though you are not being paid for your break. Their reasoning is too many people were coming back late and you are in the building in case a patient needs you. But management is allowed to leave on break still :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma4vr
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
no i dont believe so
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AFWifeNMom
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I would think that as long as you aren't late coming back from break then it is none of their business!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeisboog
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:25 AM

IDK, my "boss" does this too. No clue why. She only oversee's 6 people and the town is only a mile wide. There aren't too many places you can go other than home. Its made my life a living hell. I would like to go home to let the dogs out on my lunch but can't so they've been all kinds of a mess to deal with. 

cherrywaves21
Yeah they would get the fuck over that with a quickness. Because I would still be leaving. But I'm always on time so it's not a problem for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amyrw
If its not paid its your time to do with what you want. If its paid, you are on their time and considered a liability of you were to get hurt. Where I used to work you weren't allowed to leave the property during break bc you were being paid and if you got in a wreck the company would be responsible for you/workers comp. But we could leave for lunch bc it was not paid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Livinwith3boys
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:26 AM

It is legal, and I can see the need for it of it is a short break, but something like a lunch, etc would be frustrating to not be able to leave!! Be glad you GET a break though, some workers don't even get one!!

rowansmum
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:27 AM
I can see the logic but I'd check over your contract. I get that people are forever coming back late and its a.problem but I also totally understand that when you're on break you're unavailable. I used to leave on every break because if I was in the building I'd get called for the dumbest things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
veganistic
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:27 AM
We can't leave the "campus" on our breaks either. Same reasoning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Yes, it is legal depending on the job. I'm a substitute teacher and depending on what campus I am at for the day, I might not be allowed to leave campus to get lunch.

Jstoddard98
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I think that is illegal - if you aren't getting paid for it they can't tell you you have to stay on the premises. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)