Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Telling you cant leave during your break at work....

Posted by   + Show Post
Is this even legal? You can't leave on your break even though you are not being paid for your break. Their reasoning is too many people were coming back late and you are in the building in case a patient needs you. But management is allowed to leave on break still :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Replies (11-20):
opal10161973
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:28 AM

That's how it was in pretty much every nursing home or hospital I have worked at in the last several years.  If it's in the handbook, you have no recourse.  Sorry!

cdi
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:29 AM
It is a lunch and thy said they will feed you free but have you tried eating some nursing home food... Yuck

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

It is legal, and I can see the need for it of it is a short break, but something like a lunch, etc would be frustrating to not be able to leave!! Be glad you GET a break though, some workers don't even get one!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cdi
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Its not in the handbook though it is not a company policy it is this managers policy

Quoting opal10161973:

That's how it was in pretty much every nursing home or hospital I have worked at in the last several years.  If it's in the handbook, you have no recourse.  Sorry!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DamianaFire
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:31 AM
If you are on your paid break you cannot leave. The reason is, if you are being paid you are the responsibility of the company and if anything happened, the company is liable. If you are on your time, you can do what you want, including leave.
This is how it is in CA.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MammaPaparazza
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:31 AM
When I worked at the hospital we were not allowed to leave the property for lunch. But eating hospital food gets old after a month, so we would leave anyway..for the same reason your inquiring...we Werent getting paid for lunch, and they weren't buying, so....we became rebels! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cdi
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Yeah nursing home lunch gets real old . Plus I live within a 2 minute drive so sometimes I like to run home to let the dogs in or check on my son

Quoting MammaPaparazza:

When I worked at the hospital we were not allowed to leave the property for lunch. But eating hospital food gets old after a month, so we would leave anyway..for the same reason your inquiring...we Werent getting paid for lunch, and they weren't buying, so....we became rebels! Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_The_Nurse
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:34 AM

idgaf. i work in a hospital too and there are other nurses, and the CHARGE nurse. I hardly ever leave but if i feel like driving a block dwn the road to grab mcdonalds then sobeit. I don't tell them that im leaving either. one 30 minut break in a 12 hr shift. oh, and im still a tech right now so i'm sure it doesnt really matter that I leave but they "say" we're not supposed to.

opal10161973

If there is a disclaimer in the handbook that says the policies may be interpreted by the manager or to the manager's discretion, it covers it.  Especially if you work evenings or nights.  In Florida, they have to have so many caregivers to patient/resident ratio in the building by law, whether they are on break or not, so she may be covered by that.  I don't agree with this and it is one of the reasons I am leaving the field. 

Quoting cdi:

Its not in the handbook though it is not a company policy it is this managers policy

Quoting opal10161973:

alwayskk

It's also a liability issue. There are plenty of reasons why they might not allow this and plenty of ways that it could be legal.

valkay
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:34 AM

It is if you do not clock out because technically you are on the clock. Idf you are on the clock and get into an accident they are responsible. What I would be more concerned about is not getting paid for breaks.  In the 3 states I have worked in it is the law in a 4 hour shift you are entitled to a 10 minute break..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN