Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Telling you cant leave during your break at work....

Posted by   + Show Post
Is this even legal? You can't leave on your break even though you are not being paid for your break. Their reasoning is too many people were coming back late and you are in the building in case a patient needs you. But management is allowed to leave on break still :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Replies (41-45):
sarah427
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Exactly

Quoting AFWifeNMom:

I would think that as long as you aren't late coming back from break then it is none of their business!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_The_Nurse
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:36 AM

im not a nurse yet. im a tech. They don't really care if the techs leave because im a tech. not a nurse (im in nursing school) as a nurse i'd never abandon my patient. thats not what im saying.

Quoting Nicki1985:

Wow. Hopefully I'm not Ever your patient who needs something. Ever heard of abandonment?!?

Quoting Mom_The_Nurse:

idgaf. i work in a hospital too and there are other nurses, and the CHARGE nurse. I hardly ever leave but if i feel like driving a block dwn the road to grab mcdonalds then sobeit. I don't tell them that im leaving either. one 30 minut break in a 12 hr shift. oh, and im still a tech right now so i'm sure it doesnt really matter that I leave but they "say" we're not supposed to.

momma2rhylee
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:55 PM
But we also don't get a lunch.

Quoting Mom_The_Nurse:

thats why i think nurses should be paid for their break. If they are required to stay on premesis and come running back to the floor should the need arise then they should damn well be paid for it. The charge nurses act like they don't know how to take care of patients and wont step up if needed so the nurse can have his/her MUCH NEEDED break so often the nurse doesnt even take one. a 30 minute break isnt shit anyways in a twelve hr shift. and it happens so often the nurses break gets cut short anyways because of the fact that there's something she needs to run back to the floor for. 

Quoting momma2rhylee:

We can't leave. We are paid for ours though. We have to be available in case a resident has a behavior and help is needed

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_The_Nurse
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM
You don't get to eat in an entire 8 HR shift?

Quoting momma2rhylee:

Quoting Mom_The_Nurse:

thats why i think nurses should be paid for their break. If they are required to stay on premesis and come running back to the floor should the need arise then they should damn well be paid for it. The charge nurses act like they don't know how to take care of patients and wont step up if needed so the nurse can have his/her MUCH NEEDED break so often the nurse doesnt even take one. a 30 minute break isnt shit anyways in a twelve hr shift. and it happens so often the nurses break gets cut short anyways because of the fact that there's something she needs to run back to the floor for. 

Quoting momma2rhylee:

We can't leave. We are paid for ours though. We have to be available in case a resident has a behavior and help is needed

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2rhylee
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM
I work in a group home. We teach people with dd. we try to teach them family dining etc. we eat with the residents and if we don't like what is on the menu then we don't eat.

Quoting Mom_The_Nurse:

You don't get to eat in an entire 8 HR shift?

Quoting momma2rhylee:

Quoting Mom_The_Nurse:

Quoting momma2rhylee:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN