Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Christians Who Feel Persecuted In America...

Posted by   + Show Post

...are like millionaires who feel poor because they are no longer billionaires.

America is filled with laws and customs steeped in Christian tradition.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Replies (31-40):
caito
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this

That's how Christians get around that rule...they buy a fake tree because then they're not actually cutting it down.

-_-

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting rgba:

You can call a Christmas tree a "holiday tree" at the Capitol, but we still know what it is.

(For the record, I quite enjoy Christmas trees, so the little hypocrite in me doesn't care...)

There's nothing Christian about a Christmas tree. It is a pre-Christian Germanic tradition. The bible actually forbids the cutting of a tree and adorning it.

Guess who's back?
my tumblr

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Quoting LoriLou75:

Any Chrostian who says they feel persecuted should spend a month as a Muslim or an Atheist. I don't think any belief is more persected in this country than those two. Actually, I think Pagans and Wiccans have it rough also....

I live in the "bible belt" and have had Christians threaten to have my children taken away and have me banned from volunteering in activities involving children. 

The below is a c/p of a portion of a questioner on religious intolerence that I filled out:

Do you still think that there is still religious intolerance involving the wicca religion?(poll style)
(Answer yes, no or maybe/don't know for a numerical count): Yes

Why do you think there is/is not religious intolerance from personal experience? Yes, from personal experience

Can you describe a situation of religious intolerance from personal experience?
I have 2 experiences:
The first one was with a local inclusive homeschool group. There was a conversation on our yahoo group about setting up several clubs/classes for the upcoming yr. Someone suggested a drama club. I was very interested in the club for my daughter.

A new member of the group chimed in that the drama club would be the perfect for Christian fellowship and to instill Christian values in our children.

Several of us pointed out that the group was secular and I stated that I am pagan. This woman said that inclusive just meant nondenominational and that of course it was a Christian group. She said that she knew someone in the group that was Christian and that her friend would not risk the lives and souls of her children by having them around non-Christians. She basically went on and on that pagans would rape kill and sacrifice their children and that something had to be done about us being in the group.

Within minutes of her message a member of the group’s board called me to assure me that they had banned her from the group and were calling her to tell her that she was not welcomed at any of our events and would be removed if she showed up.

The second incident involves Girl Scouts. The first I knew about the problem was an incident that involved the grandmother of 3 girls that used to be in our troop. She happened to have a box of Girl Scout cookies on her desk and a customer started a conversation. When the person found out what troop the grandchildren were in the person said something like “Oh you mean the troop that lets witches in”. I don’t know what all was said but I have been told it got pretty nasty and the grandmother took up for me. About a year later I found out that the mother of a girl that used to be in our troop went around complaining that I was allowed to become a leader and that non-Christians shouldn’t be allowed to volunteer. I guess I showed her. Not only am I still a leader, but I also hold 3 positions on the service unit team.

Mipsy
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM
There have been Christians in the past here in the US who were persecuted. Today though no, I don't feel any religion is truly being persecuted in America.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HaileysMom07180
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I am not a christian myself, but i do have friends that are.  They are good people, they don't judge, they do and act the way their bible tells them too.  However, its the loud judgy christians that give all christians a bad name because they are the only ones that are seen.  Like those ones that picket at soldiers funerals, or the people at the church I grew up in that threw the homeless man back out into the street during service because he didn't look or smell that great.  

And I don't think it's fair that we are in a "free" country that supposedly has freedom for religion when our laws are based on christianity and I can't even allow my daughter to tell her friends at school what religion she is because of how the other parents would react.  At least you can tell people you are a christian and for the most part people aren't scared of you.

rgba
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Um...yes. It's not exactly a secret. Up until a few years ago, they were CALLED Christmas trees, and Christmas decorations. Now the exact same decorations and trees are called Holiday trees.
Not sure why that bothers you?

As for your second question...I don't know. You'll have to ask a Christian, and/or someone who opposes gay marriage.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting rgba:

Indeed, at one time they were not Christian. But there is no question that trees decorated in the hallways of our government buildings in December nowadays are intended to represent Christmas.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting rgba:

You can call a Christmas tree a "holiday tree" at the Capitol, but we still know what it is.

(For the record, I quite enjoy Christmas trees, so the little hypocrite in me doesn't care...)

There's nothing Christian about a Christmas tree. It is a pre-Christian Germanic tradition. The bible actually forbids the cutting of a tree and adorning it.

So you claim to be a mind reader and know the intent of those who place a holiday tree? RIGHT......Thanks for the laugh. So why is it OK for Christians to ignore Jeremiah 10 yet they insist that the US should have laws against thigns such as gay marriage?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rgba
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM
LOL, it's not you. Apparently what I thought was clever was really just too subtle to make sense!

I was supporting OP. I often hear Christians complain about the fact that government is forcing them to "remove the Christ from Christmas" by being "politically correct" and saying things like "Holiday Tree" instead of Christmas tree. When in fact, we all know that government still DOES put up Christmas decorations, they just call them a different name.

So...back to the OP...the Christians are still getting their millions, just not their billions.

It made sense in my head :)

I hadn't banked on pissing off the Pagans! (Yes, yes, I know that the tree was taken as a symbol in an attempt to convert the pagans...but I thought we were past that and recognize that the majority of christians in the US use christmas trees)

Quoting alwayskk:

I'm a little bit slow today. What does this have to do with Christians feeling persecuted in America?

Quoting rgba:

Indeed, at one time they were not Christian. But there is no question that trees decorated in the hallways of our government buildings in December nowadays are intended to represent Christmas.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting rgba:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miss_lisa
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't think you'll have to worry about anyone here thinking your Christian.

Quoting .Angel.Eyes.:

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

*All smiles*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rgba
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Oh good. You understood me. (I think)

Quoting radioheid:

Every last person I know who decorates a fir tree in December calls it a "Christmas tree", whether they are Christian or not. Regardless of its origins, the tree is associated with Christmas in America---the birth of Christ. I am aware that the tree has its roots in pagan practices in Germany, but it has been adopted by Christians and associated with Christian tradition for 200 years in America.

"Holiday tree"...lol!

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting rgba:

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting rgba:

So you claim to be a mind reader and know the intent of those who place a holiday tree? RIGHT......Thanks for the laugh. So why is it OK for Christians to ignore Jeremiah 10 yet they insist that the US should have laws against thigns such as gay marriage?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aislinn
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Agreed. When a Christian, in this country, says they feel prosecuted, I have two reactions. One, I want to laugh, hysterically. Two, I want to slap them in the face to ,MAYBE, bring them back to reality...lol

.Angel.Eyes.
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I usually ignore you. You never have anything productive or kind to say to me. You don't like me. Please leave me alone.

persecutedpast participle, past tense of per·se·cute (Verb)

Verb:
  1. Subject (someone) to hostility and ill-treatment, esp. because of their race or political or religious beliefs.
  2. Harass or annoy (someone) persistently.
Quoting miss_lisa:

I don't think you'll have to worry about anyone here thinking your Christian.

Quoting .Angel.Eyes.:

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

*All smiles*

✞†✞ Blessed ✞†✞

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)