Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ugh, I hate my dogs!

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM
  • 59 Replies

We have two siberian huskys. Ace is three months and Jack is four months. We've had them for about two months now. They are AWFUL. No matter how long Ace is outside for once he's let inside he goes straight for my livinging room (the ONLY room he has access to that has carpet) and proceeds to piss right on it. He does this at least four times a week. Drives me insane. And mister Jack will pull things out of the trash, pull napkins out of the napkin holder, bags or just anything he can get ahold of, runs outside and rips it up so at any given moment my back yard looks like a paper factory exploded in it. I'm trying to be so patient with them but I'm running low.

I feel like my SO (who wanted these EXACT dogs when I wanted a Lab) never pays attention to them. He hardly plays with them. He isn't here to clean up their messes and what not. He literally lets them out in the morning, feeds them their dinner and MAYBE plays with them for five minutes and puts them to bed.

But that's neither here nor there. How can I keep them out of the trash and from taking things and ripping them outside and how can I get the little one to stop peeing on the carpet when he has all day access to the back yard. HELP!

by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaOfThree789
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM

BUMP!

Whisper85
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Siberian huskies need a job or they get very very bored that will explain the one getting into the trash. They need long walks as well as they have tons of energy! Do you crate your dogs? That will help with the housebreaking issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aamy
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Its called training them ... they are still babies. 

FooLynRoo
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Training

You obviously aren't equiped so get your husband who wanted the dogs to put out some good hard cash to get a trainer in there to teach you - how to train your dogs.

Also - lack of exercise will make any husky a bad one.

Someone should have done his homework before he wanted a dog for "looks"

ladyvamp5489
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM

At that age i would crate them when they are in the house. It helps with housebreaking. As for the trash you have to put it where the dog cant get to it like behind a babygate in the kitchen or laundry room. Good luck.

emelymac
by Emely on May. 4, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I'm not sure what to do as far as training goes, but they are still very young. You haven't described anything that a normal puppy wouldn't do. So here's a bump.

starreyedcutie
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this
You need to train them and be consistant!!! Huskeys are not a breed for people with little experiance with dogs. They are a major handful and they have tons of energy and need lots of grooming
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LMM_4027
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:18 AM
I went through this with my pit. I wanted a small dog, Df wanted the pit. There was a period when I wanted to shoot him in the head. I had to be consistant and now he plays in the backyard all day so that helped too. Huskies are a big responsibility. You dh should have definitely done some hw just like mind should have lol. I'm out dog's primary caretaker.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaOfThree789
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM

We did do our homework for the dogs. I grew up with three huskys, so I personally know how they are. They get plenty of exercise. We walk .5 miles a day while the kids ride their bikes and they have free rein to run all over our fenced in back yard. I've taken them to training classes. They know basic commands and the little one KNOWS to go potty outside since if the door is shut he will go to it and bark a bit.

The thing is when SO is home and he tells them to do something they listen to him, they act like perfect little angels, even though he spends little time with them. I try his tecniques but nothing. Frustrating.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Training

You obviously aren't equiped so get your husband who wanted the dogs to put out some good hard cash to get a trainer in there to teach you - how to train your dogs.

Also - lack of exercise will make any husky a bad one.

Someone should have done his homework before he wanted a dog for "looks"

Kodysmommy928
by Jenjo-a-gogo on May. 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Maybe you should have educated yourself before you decided to get them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)