Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

We have two siberian huskys. Ace is three months and Jack is four months. We've had them for about two months now. They are AWFUL. No matter how long Ace is outside for once he's let inside he goes straight for my livinging room (the ONLY room he has access to that has carpet) and proceeds to piss right on it. He does this at least four times a week. Drives me insane. And mister Jack will pull things out of the trash, pull napkins out of the napkin holder, bags or just anything he can get ahold of, runs outside and rips it up so at any given moment my back yard looks like a paper factory exploded in it. I'm trying to be so patient with them but I'm running low.

I feel like my SO (who wanted these EXACT dogs when I wanted a Lab) never pays attention to them. He hardly plays with them. He isn't here to clean up their messes and what not. He literally lets them out in the morning, feeds them their dinner and MAYBE plays with them for five minutes and puts them to bed.

But that's neither here nor there. How can I keep them out of the trash and from taking things and ripping them outside and how can I get the little one to stop peeing on the carpet when he has all day access to the back yard. HELP!

by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Replies (41-50):
FooLynRoo
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM

No because you are aksing advice and you are getting it from all angles - training and exercise and you are INSISITING you do those things sufficiently

And Im telling you - NO YOU ARE NOT

or you wouldn't have these issues.

You keep pretending your vet says half a mile walk a day is enough for your two PUPPY HUSKIES

and I will shake my head and call you an out right liar.

Quoting MommaOfThree789:

I don't know everything as to why I'm asking for help. I never said I was doing everything right and NEVER said my dog was defective. They are awesome in everyother department. I'm having two issues with them that I asked for help on. Because I don't understand where you're coming from with saying my dogs get lack of exercise, I'm automatically stupid?

Quoting FooLynRoo:

save your self the time

She knows everything

is doing everything right

but yet has these problems.

It MUST be a defective dog.

You can't help stupid.

Quoting Maevelyn:

I feel so bad for you, the dogs and the kids. I don't know any reputible vet, breeder, dog trainer or sane person who recommends getting two puppies of any breed at the same time. Secondly, they are acting like Huskies, which are a high energy, pack oriented dog the needs gentle, firm and consitant training and a strong pack leader. You can correct these behavior problems but you need to take a few steps. They must be trained and to do this they must be worked with daily both together and seperately, I suggest getting them into a training class and FORCING DH to attend. The best training comes when the whole family (kids included) has the same expectations and commands. The peeing may be marking, I suggest getting a black light so you can locate all the urine to eliminate it. The best way to potty train any dog is to walk it out into the yard on a leash to the place you wish it to potty, wait until it has done it's business and then let him off the leash. This trains them that they are to go immediately, not gallivant around the yard and forget what they're supposed to do. This means more work for you but it will pay off in the long run. Next, they need at least 1 hour of real exercise (not running around in the yard) try ridding a bike with them, best one at a time, they need to let out a lot of energy. 

http://whatthefoolynroo.blogspot.com

Tea4Tas
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:25 PM
3 moms liked this

I have an aussie.they have about twice as much energy as a husky (trust me) a walk and the back yard won't cut it-neither does running her for 5 miles. MENTAL stimulation is the key for some breeds, not just physical exercise.

My dog gets either airball time or a good 30 minutes of frisbee time daily. We vary the throws so she has to figure the wind and where it is going in order to catch it (ideal for a herding breed)

Airball is because she doens't like to catch a rolling ball-she wants to track the bouncing.

Another game she likes is gather up the toys-she gathers up all of the toys in the back yard-and puts them in her basket to get a chewie (pigs ear or the like)

Hell sometimes the boys play monkey in the middle with her. ANYTHING that occupies both her mind and body.

PinkHairMAMA
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:26 PM
They are precious!! Keep your head up, you have two hairy toddlers, and huskies are HORRIBLE toddlers! You can make it. A tired puppy is a good puppy!

Quoting MommaOfThree789:

I think our choice was in getting two since we had Ace first and he would just cry at night in his cage. Now he's fine. He also quickly picked up potty training and learning basic commands from what I believe modeling after Jack. Aside from those two issues, they are doing really well. We love them just these two things are plucking my nerves, lol. Hopefully we can get it situated! Thanks for your tips!

Here are our monsters :) lol.

Quoting PinkHairMAMA:

Put backpacks on them and make them carry their dinner around on the walk or something else that has a little weight, add more as they get bigger. You need to be more consistent with your commands, your tone needs to be right. Use your "Mom" tone but do NOT yell or you'll condition them to always have to yell. Try kong and doggy puzzles while they are inside, sounds like they are bored while inside and are acting out, not lack of potty training.

I have service dogs and am a trainer. You're going in the right direction asking for help. I also believe 2 are better than 1.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunnysdmom
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM

That is too funny! I have exhausted all avenues when trying to confine Tava to the yard. She won't dig for a few months and then I will come home to both dogs being gone. I went 4 whole years with no escapes! I have had two in the last two days!

Quoting MommaOfThree789:

Crate training was incredibly easy, thankfully. Out of the two, Ace is the digger. The funny thing is he will dig out and then just sit and wait on the other side of the fence for Jack. However, we believe we have *currently* solved the digging problem as it hasn't been an issue for over two weeks.

Quoting Sunnysdmom:

All of these posters that are telling you that you/dogs need training are correct. Unfortunately this is puppy behavior  is the least of your problems considering what is to come...The husky is a breed that is in the working group. They were bread to pull sleds. Because they are runners, you get to look forward to them being escape artists! They are notorious for this. I have one and she digs out of the yard. CONSTANTLY! It is because they don't like to be confined. Crate training is particular hard for this breed for this reason. The younger they are the better chance you have of doing it correctly.

Mama_Chels
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM

My biggest dog is the same way. He only listens to men. We've had him since he was 6wks old. He is wolf/sheppard/rotti/pitt. He has been fully potty trained, until we moved! He pisses on every rug he can! There were stains from the previous people that lived here so I think they're dog did the same thing. It drives me insane!!

MommaOfThree789
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM

My dogs are puppies, I realize they are not going to be fully trained over night. They know their basic commands as I stated. I'm having two issues. I asked for advice on those two issues to train them not to do it anymore. I'm asking specific advice on how I'd train for those two issues, not all areas of training.

My vet bases all activity as exercise, not just the walks as plenty of people who own dogs don't walk their dogs on a regular basis and just exercise them in their back yards. I agree with him that all activity is exercise, but I guess not everyone sees it that way.

I don't see how any of this makes me stupid..

Quoting FooLynRoo:

No because you are aksing advice and you are getting it from all angles - training and exercise and you are INSISITING you do those things sufficiently

You keep pretending your vet says half a mile walk a day is enough for your two PUPPY HUSKIES

Quoting MommaOfThree789:

I don't know everything as to why I'm asking for help. I never said I was doing everything right and NEVER said my dog was defective. They are awesome in everyother department. I'm having two issues with them that I asked for help on. Because I don't understand where you're coming from with saying my dogs get lack of exercise, I'm automatically stupid?

Quoting FooLynRoo:

save your self the time

She knows everything

You can't help stupid.

Quoting Maevelyn:

I feel so bad for you, the dogs and the kids. I don't know any reputible vet, breeder, dog trainer or sane person who recommends getting two puppies of any breed at the same time. Secondly, they are acting like Huskies, which are a high energy, pack oriented dog the needs gentle, firm and consitant training and a strong pack leader. You can correct these behavior problems but you need to take a few steps. They must be trained and to do this they must be worked with daily both together and seperately, I suggest getting them into a training class and FORCING DH to attend. The best training comes when the whole family (kids included) has the same expectations and commands. The peeing may be marking, I suggest getting a black light so you can locate all the urine to eliminate it. The best way to potty train any dog is to walk it out into the yard on a leash to the place you wish it to potty, wait until it has done it's business and then let him off the leash. This trains them that they are to go immediately, not gallivant around the yard and forget what they're supposed to do. This means more work for you but it will pay off in the long run. Next, they need at least 1 hour of real exercise (not running around in the yard) try ridding a bike with them, best one at a time, they need to let out a lot of energy. 

boys2men2soon
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Training

You obviously aren't equiped so get your husband who wanted the dogs to put out some good hard cash to get a trainer in there to teach you - how to train your dogs.

Also - lack of exercise will make any husky a bad one.

Someone should have done his homework before he wanted a dog for "looks"

Agreed.   Husky's are high energy, high maintenance dogs.   They are also masters at escape.  

FooLynRoo
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM

No you are stupid because you don't understand how its all linked.

Having dogs in your house as a CHILD doesn't qualify you as knowing what you are doing.

Get professional help - and a dog trainer too.

Quoting MommaOfThree789:

My dogs are puppies, I realize they are not going to be fully trained over night. They know their basic commands as I stated. I'm having two issues. I asked for advice on those two issues to train them not to do it anymore. I'm asking specific advice on how I'd train for those two issues, not all areas of training.

My vet bases all activity as exercise, not just the walks as plenty of people who own dogs don't walk their dogs on a regular basis and just exercise them in their back yards. I agree with him that all activity is exercise, but I guess not everyone sees it that way.

I don't see how any of this makes me stupid..

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Quoting MommaOfThree789:

Quoting FooLynRoo:

save your self the time

She knows everything

You can't help stupid.

Quoting Maevelyn:

http://whatthefoolynroo.blogspot.com

MommaOfThree789
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Oh, I know the digging will return. For now, we dug a little under our fence and placed cinder blocks under it, so they now have to dig under the cinder blocks if they want to get out. Neither is too interested in it anymore. I'm sure they are secretly plotting.

Quoting Sunnysdmom:

That is too funny! I have exhausted all avenues when trying to confine Tava to the yard. She won't dig for a few months and then I will come home to both dogs being gone. I went 4 whole years with no escapes! I have had two in the last two days!

Quoting MommaOfThree789:

Crate training was incredibly easy, thankfully. Out of the two, Ace is the digger. The funny thing is he will dig out and then just sit and wait on the other side of the fence for Jack. However, we believe we have *currently* solved the digging problem as it hasn't been an issue for over two weeks.

Quoting Sunnysdmom:

All of these posters that are telling you that you/dogs need training are correct. Unfortunately this is puppy behavior  is the least of your problems considering what is to come...The husky is a breed that is in the working group. They were bread to pull sleds. Because they are runners, you get to look forward to them being escape artists! They are notorious for this. I have one and she digs out of the yard. CONSTANTLY! It is because they don't like to be confined. Crate training is particular hard for this breed for this reason. The younger they are the better chance you have of doing it correctly.

Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Leave them in the fenced yard during the day, crate them immediately when they come in.
They're a territorial breed, hence the peeing inside.
They need plenty of exercise and stimulation. The garbage digging is boredom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN