Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you hate when people mispronounce your kids names? Edit

My sons name is Leland sounds like Lee-lin. So stop emphasizing the d. It's not Lee-land. It's so annoying.

Edit. It's the strong emphasis on the d that annoys me or when they say Le-Land. Most people say it right but some don't no matter how much I correct them. Watch the video. A few seconds in dog says Leland's name. Notice no heavy emphasis on the d. That's how my sons name is pronounced.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Replies (451-460):
hp2011
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I named my kids Isaiah and Kelly (boys)... no problems pronouncing those.

demlilkit
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I dont like it when people make up their own nick names for my DD...

Part of the family calls her Kiki the other half nana...

Im like Hell No...

momswag
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM

You edit doesn't change anything, the way the name is phonetically spelled is how it is pronounced. Plus, Dog doesn't nothing to help your argument, the guy is an idiot. 

DixieL
by Dixie on May. 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM

The only person that says my sons name wrong is my husband lol. His name is Jason When he was born my husband loved Dallas, so if we had a boy my husband wanted to name him. It had to be a J name. Off all the J names my mom and I loved Jason. My husbands name is Richard. Our son is Jason Richard and his dad calls him JR for JR Ewing. It has been that way since the day our son was born.

kit_manson
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Yes, his name is Cael. It's pronounced EXACTLY as it is spelled "Kayl". Somehow people get kyle from that.

Ae.
Aeon
Aerate
Aerials
Cesaerian.

It's ALWAYS an A sound.

Pink_Sunshine
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I'm still saying Le-lanD in my head 

Starr1089
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Their names are never mispronounced.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zoenlandonsmom
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:57 PM

We went with the traditional spelling of Zoe she gets called Zo alot and a lab nurse once told me i spelled it wrong it should have a y lol i was like umm no I spelled it right thank you.  Landon gets called brandon alot

Pink_Sunshine
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:57 PM

yes she said the "d" was silent, now the edit. D's are NEVER silent in the English language unless they are French originated 

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

Quote:

I'm not mad that people say it wrong

You said you hate it.  That's a pretty strong emotion to most people.

Quote:

I'm mad that people want to argue with me and act like I'm an idiot that cant spell or pronounce my own kids name.

Do you get the fact that that's EXACTLY what you were saying/implying about people who say it the way that it's spelled (and the way that it's actually said by most people)?  Your message was that they are stupid, rude, annoying, offensive, etc.  That was the whole point of your post.

Quote:

I didn't say it was silent. Just that there is no strong d sound. The n and the d blend together.

Actually you did, right from the beginning.  You've edited it several times since then, but your original posts and replies said no D sound.

Quote:

by Dawn on May. 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM
It's like Raymond. Does anyone say RaymonD? No. It is Raymon. The d isn't supposed to make a sound.

Quote:

My sons name is Leland sounds like Lee-lin. 

Call him what you want.  You can spell it Leland and call him Ralph for all I care.  But there's no need to get bent out of shape and imply that the rest of the world is stupid/rude because you want it pronounced in a non-traditional, non-standard way.  By default, people will pronounce it the way it's spelled and the way it's normally pronounced.

Mommy2_two
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM

My kids have names that are spelled the way they are pronounced (to me anyway). I have had people mis spell them, but never mispronounce them. Whenever someone asks how to spell their name I say "the normal way."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)