Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Soldier died while video chatting

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM
  • 39 Replies

Nurse in Afghanistan dies in Skype chat with wife

By MICHAEL GRACZYK Associated Press The Associated Press
Friday, May 4, 2012 11:18 AM EDT

HOUSTON (AP) - The Texas-based wife of an Army officer serving in Afghanistan witnessed her husband's death as the two video chatted via Skype, his family said Friday.

The circumstances of Capt. Bruce Kevin Clark's death Monday were not immediately available.

"We are entrusting the military with investigating and with finding out what happened to Capt. Clark," Bradley Taber-Thomas, Clark's brother-in-law, told The Associated Press.

The Pentagon said the 43-year-old officer was formerly from Spencerport, N.Y., and that his death is under investigation.

"Bruce's wife tragically witnessed her husband's death during one of their regular Skype video-chats on Monday," Taber-Thomas said in a prepared statement. "At the time of the incident, the family was hoping for a rescue and miracle, but later learned that it was not to be.

Clark, an Army chief nurse, was assigned to the William Beaumont Army Medical Center in El Paso and deployed in March.

Taber-Thomas said the soldier's body was returned Thursday to Dover Air Force Base.

"Although the circumstances were unimaginable, Bruce's wife and extended family will be forever thankful that he and his wife were together in his last moments," he said.

A funeral is planned in Spencerport, N.Y., a suburb of Rochester and his wife's hometown, but details were not immediately available. Clark and his wife moved there in 2000 and he joined the Army six years later.

A memorial service also was planned for Addison, Mich., where Clark graduated from high school.

"While we understand the interest our family's tragedy will attract given the unique circumstances, we ask that our privacy be respected during our time of grief," Taber-Thomas said.

Taber-Thomas said Clark is survived by his wife and two daughters, age 3 and 9.

---

AP writer Chris Carola contributed to this report from Albany, N.Y.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Two_Hearts
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM

That is so sad :( 

BV88
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Omg I couldn't imagine. So sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MatisMommy
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM
That is so sad :'(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
First_One_8_18
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Omg that poor family! Being so far away and not being able to do anything but sit n watch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyajay
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM
That's sooooo sad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karla85
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM
I can't even imagine her pain an frustration :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3_2011

How horrible.

nysa76
2 moms liked this

I am thankful he was chatting with his wife and not his daughters and that they were together in some way at the end.  It is so heart breaking.  Their family is in my thoughts.

Mrs_Szontagh
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

way to get my hormones going sadie, bawling my damn eyes out =( hearts breaking for that poor woman... i can't even imagine </3 

lynnd4
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM
I don't know if her being there was a blessing or tragedy or both. This is very sad and I feel for his wife.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN