Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why is this okay for Christians to say?

"I hope you find god."

--But not okay for me to say, "I hope you lose god."

"I'll pray for your soul."

--But not for me to say, "Take your prayers and stuff 'em."

"Islam is a violent religion."

--But not for me to say, "What about the inquisition, the crusades, the witch trials?"

Photobucket

by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
ac10
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM

You can say whatever you want.

CaptainFeast
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm not your "Dear" unless your name is Bryan and you're sleeping in the other room.

2.) It has affected my life. I've been reprimanded for these things.

Quoting Cutiebear_Annie:

Why is that even a issue for you. Don't let what others say to you consume your life dear.

hautemama83
by Nichole on May. 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
You can say whatever you want.

But I'll also say I'm a Christian and have never said any of those things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaptainFeast
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM
6 moms liked this

Quoting shivasgirl:

Quoting CaptainFeast:

"I hope you find god."

--But not okay for me to say, "I hope you lose god."

It's really not ok, but because they are wishing for an improvement in your life and you are wishing a  downfall it is mean spirited on your behalf

What? Losing god was an improvement on my life and thousands of other atheists would agree with me. So, I would be wishing them an improvement to their life.

mommyakabooby
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk. Why is it ok to tell christians that they're stupid for having an imaginary friend? I, personally have more tact than to say any of the above. Some people do not. There are people from all faiths that lack tact. I ignore them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaptainFeast
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM
2 moms liked this

It's okay for Christians to disrespect my religion (atheism) by saying that my view is wrong and there is a god. But, if I say there isn't one--I'm disrespecting them.

Quoting mommyakabooby:

Idk. Why is it ok to tell christians that they're stupid for having an imaginary friend? I, personally have more tact than to say any of the above. Some people do not. There are people from all faiths that lack tact. I ignore them.

jas_momof2
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

In that example they are wrong.  There's a difference between "I hope you find God" and "I hope you find God, bitch, cause your ass is going to hell..."

SOME Christians mean no offence when they say these things, where as a lot of times the offended reply is meant to be snarky and hurtful.

However, if the original statement is meant in a bad way, then they deserve whatever they get back. 

Quoting CaptainFeast:

Really? Here's the intent: I'm right and you're wrong. I pray you'll see things my way.

Why isn't it okay if I say the exact same thing?

Quoting jas_momof2:

It's all about intent... 

ac10
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM
3 moms liked this

Atheism is not a religion. It's the rejection of religion. Since when is it disrespectful to disagree with someone??

Quoting CaptainFeast:

It's okay for Christians to disrespect my religion (atheism) by saying that my view is wrong and there is a god. But, if I say there isn't one--I'm disrespecting them.

Quoting mommyakabooby:

connietrrll
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM
4 moms liked this

I am not sure if this is why! Because I don't know the situations. But, your replies are negative, and "I will pray for your soul" is not negative. Neither is "I hope you find God!"

If you replied politely! Something along the lines of Thank you! But, I don't need your prayers, or I don't believe in your God, it would be more accepted by others!

Take the word God, and replace it with your daughter! I will pray for your daughter soul, or I hope your find your daughter! If you used your sentences with your daughter they would be horrible! Right? I hope you lose your daughter! Take your daughter and stuff it? Doesn't seem to be very nice does it?

Quoting CaptainFeast:

I've been reprimanded for both of the top two. Had my reply deleted AND got a spanking.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Personally I don't care what anyone has to say about my or other religions. I don't live my life questioning every one's beliefs, or asking who can or can't ask something. By the way I don't know who told you that you can't say those things, as an adult you can say whatever you want.

casah4
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I would ask myself this. Do I feel the way I responded was the right way to do things? Did it make me feel good about who I am?

Because no matter what anyone else says to you, you shouldn't let their comments make you react in a way that's not true to who you are on the inside. Regardless of whether you feel right or wrong, kwim?

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN