Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why is this okay for Christians to say?

"I hope you find god."

--But not okay for me to say, "I hope you lose god."

"I'll pray for your soul."

--But not for me to say, "Take your prayers and stuff 'em."

"Islam is a violent religion."

--But not for me to say, "What about the inquisition, the crusades, the witch trials?"

Photobucket

by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Replies (61-70):
Tarotknits
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM
4 moms liked this

You can say it, and we have every right to be as offended as we are when you do it. Christians face more discrimination than you know. The bible is illegal in many countries. Many people are locked up for believing in Christ in other countries and then killed, look up Asia Bibi. If you look into history almost every religion you can think of has been persecuted at one time by some race of people. Its about frickin time for tolerance for everyone. 

However that being said, the bible teaches that we are to go out and make more disciples and share the word and love of God with everyone. You have every right to say no, but don't expect people not to approach you with it. Feel free to offer your lack of religion back in full force.

CafeMom Tickers
bry36
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I am a christian but I dont push my views on others thats not to say I dont tell my friends or people I care about I am going to pray for them becasue I do  becasue that is a jesture of love and wanting the best for that person and thats what I believe is giving them my best and honeslty what does it hurt if you have somebody in your life thats concerened and wanting to do what they believe will help if it doesnt help nothing has changed for you . I have always felt God and know hes real but lets just say I am wrong how does that effect anyone but me if I am wrong we die and there is nothing but I lived my life trying to care and comfort others in a way of compasion and grace and lived a good life if I am right and you are wrong my afterlife is filled with riches and rewards for the way I lived my life and for my faith and those who didnt have that faith well not so good for them and I want everyone to have what I believe I am going to have after this life is over and if my prayer can help with that then why would that bother anyone even if you dont believe why would it upset you when you think it changes nothing if it changes nothing then why does it bother you ?

Also there have been huge events and wrongs done in the guis of christanity throughout history that doesnt mean they were right or from God at all men are to blame for these things just becasue they do them in Gods name doesnt mean they are from God

mommyakabooby
by Tree Charmer on May. 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM
5 moms liked this
Is it really disrespectful to have different beliefs? It wouldn't bother me at all if you told me there wasn't a God. Just as I'm sure you wouldn't be bothered if I said there was a God. The disrespect comes in with "people with imaginary friends are idiots", and christians beating the crap out of people with their bible banging tendancies. I just smh at the direction debates go on here. Cant we all just get along?

Quoting CaptainFeast:

It's okay for Christians to disrespect my religion (atheism) by saying that my view is wrong and there is a god. But, if I say there isn't one--I'm disrespecting them.

Quoting mommyakabooby:

Idk. Why is it ok to tell christians that they're stupid for having an imaginary friend? I, personally have more tact than to say any of the above. Some people do not. There are people from all faiths that lack tact. I ignore them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Octobersmom
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I'd say those are all fine if said respectfully by people who can have a grown up discussion about religion...IE 'take your prayers and stuff 'em' needs work but the sentiment is okay.  Maybe "No, thank you for your concern though".

I'm not Christian or Atheist btw

CaptainFeast
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I'm aiming this more to the zealots in this country that proclaim persecution.

Quoting Tarotknits:

You can say it, and we have every right to be as offended as we are when you do it. Christians face more discrimination than you know. The bible is illegal in many countries. Many people are locked up for believing in Christ in other countries and then killed, look up Asia Bibi. If you look into history almost every religion you can think of has been persecuted at one time by some race of people. Its about frickin time for tolerance for everyone. 

However that being said, the bible teaches that we are to go out and make more disciples and share the word and love of God with everyone. You have every right to say no, but don't expect people not to approach you with it. Feel free to offer your lack of religion back in full force.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Eh. I'm not one easily offended by a persons choice of words. Say what you want, I say what I want - then both move on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JanuaryBaby06
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I get why the 1st 2 are ok because they are trying to be nice in" their" way and the responses are just snarky but for the 3rd one.... I think that is a good answer. They want to bring up another religions background then bring up there's just try to be a condescending in the same light and not just right out mean,don't want to seem tackless-lol.

caito
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM

And I think this is how all religious people should go about doing things.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

I am more apt to pray for someones happiness, good health or something like that. Their soul is their problem.

Quoting CaptainFeast:

I only do t to people who are praying for my soul. I wonder how many people are actually praying for my soul right now...

Quoting kansasmom1978:

I pray for those who want me to. I don't tell anyone I hope you find God. And Islam is not a violent religion.  It's actually a peaceful religion with some crazy people using it as a background for their jihad.  If someone told me to stuff my prayers I would smile and nod and walk away. And then pray for them lol

Guess who's back?
my tumblr

Trae36
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Here's what it all boils down to if you are truly rooted and grounded in your beliefs, morals, values, etc then this conversation is a moot point because no matter what anyone says you should and will always stand firm on what you believe so if this comment or any other comments offend or upset you then dust your shoulders off and keep it moving because at the end of the day  you and you alone have to look yourself in the mirror and live with the decisions that you make. The God that I serve is not the author of confusion and therefore religion is not something that should ever be debated or argued over, ijs

Mommy2BeAmy
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:06 PM

lol you're right. I saw a pic on FB "These are the days of smart phones and stupid people" lol

Quoting Dollyrot:

Don't be. We all make mistakes. Especially in the days of smart phones and autocorrect.

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

LOL omg im embarrassed! lol

Quoting Dollyrot:

I think you mean implying.

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

What are you inquiring that "I should know that our first ammendment right is" that Im an immigrant? I a born and raised american, and ex christian you think I dont know freedom of speech? Are you inquiring that because I am a Muslim that I am from a different country?

And when did I say it was Christians, I said its "NOT JUST CHRISTIANS" so lady please get off your high horse.

Quoting Cutiebear_Annie:

I'm Christian and I have to say that I have to disagree with the statement that Christians out there need to keep things to themselves just to save HER feelings. That is ludicrious. Maybe she needs to also keep her statements to HERSELF or if she doesn't like something just walk away from it. I know your smart enough to know that our first Admendment rights in the USA are The Freedom Of Speech. Well if that should be taken away from us Christians than maybe it should be taken away from sour puss people like her.

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

I am a muslim, its not only christians who say we adhere to a VIOLENT religion...just idiots. They fail to know that every chapter of the Quran starts with "In the Name of God, the Beneficent, the MERCIFUL"...

So its not christians all the time, just idiots and morons. And the "Ill pray for you" and so on they should keep it to themselves, its not right to make people feel uncomfortable. Thanks for defending us though :D

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)