Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

if you are a parent of a child with Downs syndrome....

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:00 PM
  • 25 Replies
Did you find out before they were born? If so what testing did you have done to find out? How did you deal with the emotions that came along with such a diagnosis? If you didn't know until after the birth of your baby...how long afterwards did you know your child had downs? How did you deal with the emotions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
phantomphan
by PrincessBcake on May. 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:03 PM
I'm no help but my brother has downs. My mom knew before she had him. There was nothing to deal with...we loved him just the SAME and still do. He is 18 now and amazing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armywife009
by Janna on May. 4, 2012 at 6:03 PM

BUMP!

isaiahbellamom
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandiaubrey
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM
I knew that my post would some how be misinterpreted....I in no way meant that a child with downs would be loved less or treated differently, but like anything even something like diabetes or asthma there is some emotion and "dealing" that comes among with it.

Quoting starreyedcutie:

I'm no help but my brother has downs. My mom knew before she had him. There was nothing to deal with...we loved him just the SAME and still do. He is 18 now and amazing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cymbeline
by Spock's 2nd Cousin on May. 4, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Quoting starreyedcutie:

Dealing does not mean that a child is any less amazing or that you love them any less.

I have a child with severe disabilities, and I did have to handle/deal/cope with challenges.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

starreyedcutie
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:07 PM
I didn't say you did...I said us as a family there was nothing to deal with...my mom didn't freak out. I've even asked her. She said it went in one ear and out the other when they told her. None of us were scared or anything. So for us there wasn't any emotions to deal with

Quoting brandiaubrey:

I knew that my post would some how be misinterpreted....I in no way meant that a child with downs would be loved less or treated differently, but like anything even something like diabetes or asthma there is some emotion and "dealing" that comes among with it.

Quoting starreyedcutie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommavieve
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandiaubrey
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Thank you! I didn't mean for my post to come across as the way she seemed to take it.

Quoting Cymbeline:

Quoting starreyedcutie:

Dealing does not mean that a child is any less amazing or that you love them any less.

I have a child with severe disabilities, and I did have to handle/deal/cope with challenges.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjfamily
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Did you have your twins ? What happened?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)