Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

13 month old dies because of mom

Posted by   + Show Post

This Cannot happen to *Anyone*, for those saying it could. I take measures to keep my children safe. I buckle, and unbuckle them from their seats. I look while they arent even in the car, out of habit. I know where my children are at all times. I could never forget them. They are my life. I have 3, and I can garauntee I know where they are at at all times. They are 6, 5, and 2.5. Im sure when they are older, I wont, obviously. But I can gaurantee, they will NEVER be left in the car. Not even to pay for gas. Too many things can happen in 2 seconds.

LEE'S SUMMIT, Mo. -- Investigators have released the cause of death for a Lee's Summit boy found unresponsive in his car seat late Thursday afternoon.

Police said the child's mother unintentionally left her 13-month-old son in the vehicle, forgetting that she hadn't dropped him off at day care. Temperatures were in the mid 80s on Thursday.

A Kansas City-based safety group, Kids and Cars, said there are, on average, 38 similar deaths every year.

"I think the biggest mistake that a parent or caregiver can make is to think that it can't happen to them," said Amber Rollins.

The child's death struck a chord with people close to the family and the strangers who watched police respond to the mother's emergency calls to help the child.

"I can't really imagine what they're going through now, the pains that they're going through," said neighbor Kevin McKinney.

The baby's mother is a teacher at Cedar Creek Elementary School, just a few blocks from where she found her child. Her husband is a teacher and coach at Lee's Summit West High School.

The schools have offered help to the family and activated a crisis plan, offering counseling to any student or staff member who might want it.

McKinney said he's been deeply affected by the child's death. He said it has made him think more about safety for his 4-year-old daughter, Jordan.

"Anyone can make a mistake and forget, you know, especially if your routine is changed a little bit," he said. "I'm sure this community will support that family."

The Lee's Summit School District sent home a letter with Cedar Creek students on Friday. It notified parents about the death and said the students had been told about it, with counselors available. A substitute teacher is filling in.

"Sharing this heartbreaking news and leading our school family toward a healthy acceptance of this tragic event are tasks that lay ahead of us. Today, caring school staff and grief counselors met with staff and students. Every attempt was made to relay this news to your children with compassion and empathy. Many trained counselors will continue to be available to meet with students in small groups or individually as needs arise. Together, we will make it through this most difficult of times," the letter said.

Rollins said busy parents juggle many responsibilities, often with inadequate sleep. She said in past cases, she knows that people who always put their child's safety first, simply had other things cloud their minds.

"It's always a good idea to put something that you need in your day, like a cell phone, or a handbag or an employee ID or your briefcase in the back seat, so that you make it a routine to check the back seat every time you get out of your vehicle and make sure that your child is not in the car," Rollins said.

She said Kids and Cars are introducing a Look Before You Lock program to birthing centers to remind new parents how a split-second decision can lead to tragedy. The group is also sponsoring national legislation to require sensors and a warning system that alerts parents that a back seat is occupied.

She said busy parents can use all the help they can get.

"If you can't see them, you can't hear them," Rollins said. "Out of sight unfortunately and tragically means out of mind sometimes."

Read more: http://www.kmbc.com/news/31010820/detail.html#ixzz1twPKyMsP

Sorry, I have absolutely no sympathy for her at all. In the beginning of this story last night it was stressed there was no foul play expected. Now......she admits, or got caught with the truth. Either way, you dont forget your baby. ESPECIALLY someone that could POSSIBLY do this shouldnt be a teacher!

by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Replies (221-230):
pinkanfgrl
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Cool.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

I grew up there.

Quoting pinkanfgrl:

So sad. I live 3 miles from lees summit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mk13
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:53 PM
This story gave me extreme anxiety. I'm really fearful that something will happen to my children due to neglect or a freak accident.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grey7399
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I hate this tablet.  Its auto spell thing is soooo off.

assailed = assholes 

Quoting alwayskk:

EXACTLY.

I remember the case of the mom who went out partying with her kids, got wasted, drove home, and passed out in her trailer while her kids were dying in the car. She woke up after lunch time the next day. That is the kind of story where I have no sympathy, think she deserves to be crucified and think it was neglectful.

To put ALL of the parents of these victims in the same category without even knowing the details of each case is about as idiotic as anything I've ever heard.

Quoting grey7399:

I would trust her in the school.  I would not let her take my child to a carnival or the mall.

I'm surprised at the comments here.

you guys are all about forgiving & second chances for stupid bitches who hook up with assailed or make bad decisions over & over.

but this woman was (probably?) exhausted, out of routine & made a terrible tragic mistake & she's being crucified.

she didn't go shopping & leave her kid in the car, go gambling (this bitches' kids lived though), or even go home & take a nap, she didn't have 8 kids & lost track of one (this happened in Az) she didn't go to a party & leave the baby locked in a trunk.  She screwed up.

I have no sympathy for the others.  For this one, I do.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

you didnt answer my question. Would you trust her with your child?

She was negligent. No excuse. It ended in the death of a innocent baby boy. Again, no excuse for her. At minimum (I believe she deserves jail time.) she needs to be banned from caring for children AT ALL.

Quoting ColieO:

I'd feel incredibly bad that she had to live with that.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

SHE IS AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TEACHER!!! She is a MOM. I just cant stand hearing things like this. Ugh. This subject gets me angry.

How would you feel if your child's elementary school teacher left their baby in the car and 'forgot' about them? Would you trust her with your child?

christi34
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:19 PM

How do you just forget your own child like that. What she just gets out of the car without looking inside it? Who does that? I always check my car when I get out to make sure everything stays in its place and to check to see if one of my kids have left something in it. this makes me sick.

elle7777
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't disagree with you more.

JuliFox
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I honestly don't get these parents who claim they "forgot".  We had three kids, a year apart, all doing different things at different times and not once did we ever "forget" a child.  How do you "forget" another human being, and especially your own child??

Crashly
by WINNING! on May. 7, 2012 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this
That's so sad. Yes it CAN happen to anyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NewMama28
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM
I forgot my kiddo was in the car with me once. She was probably 8 months old, she typically stays home 4 out of the 5 days at home but I also pick her up every wednesday evening from her dads house ( he picks her up midday from my house on wed when I'm at work) and I then bring her to my aunts on Thursday. There was a recent change in the parenting plan (scheduled) and i also had just moved to my first home (owned) about a month and a half prior. I was in a rush to get to work bc i knew my morning employee wasnt going to be in. I even got up earlier and we were out the door earlier than normal that Thursday. Instead of heading north to my aunts I headed south to work. I just got off the exit when I heard her in the back. I immediately called work to tell them what happened and that I'd be late. Boy did i Get laughed at. Now, in my case I wouldn't have forgotten her ALL THE WAY bc my purse and jacket were in the backseat with her. Nonetheless I was mortified thinking what could of happened. I'm not an idiot or stupid. It was totally uncharacteristic of me But it happened nobetheless and was a total fluke accident. Knowing myself, the type of person I am and being able to admit, that I even had a moment of forgetfulness.... I actually find myself understanding how someone else may have very well went all the way to work. It's terrible ....but not impossible nor is it intentional. The woman is going to suffer for the rest of her life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anasmommy1110
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:04 PM

when did i say it was ok? i just think people should never say never. bad things happen to good people. there is never a guaruntee(sp?) that bad things wont happen to you (general you). im sure she feels horrible. but do i think people should resort to name calling. absolutely not. i know first hand to see someone lose a child to horrible circumstances.you never get over that. people dont stop blaming themselves.

Quoting Kchellejones330:

These things SHOULDNT happen. Smh but you say it's okay?? Wow.

Quoting Anasmommy1110:

Wow, really. Mothers at their finest. Name calling. Awesome. everyone needs to realise we are all human. Things happen. Oh, and I am a very good parent. I'm sure lots of people this happened to are good parents.

Quoting Kchellejones330:

Your dumbass acts like this shit can't be prevented. Lmao, what a sad individual you are.

Quoting Kchellejones330:

Okay.. are you ready???....

...... are you??.......

are you sure?????..........

....... you really want to know the secret?.... really bad????

KEEP UP WITH YOUR CHILDREN!!!!!!!

BE A PARENT AT ALL TIMES!!!

.... there.. the cat is out of the bag. Now ya know. :D

Quoting jrp0606:

Ok I will bite

What do YOU do that makes you so different then the 30 plus parents this happens to every year? How are YOU making sure this won't happen to your kids?

Since you obviously have the secret please share it with the rest of us.

Quoting Kchellejones330:

Lmfao, watch ya mouth. This would never happen to me. You silly rabbit.

Quoting CABZS:

And the perfect parents are out to judge.

The ones who say it could never happen to them or believe it could happen to them & show no sympathy are many times the parents that things like this happen to.

Quoting Kchellejones330:

Epic parenting fail on your part!!

Quoting kcangel63:

So you're saying what? That she should be stoned to death? Steralize her? Throw her in prison?

I forgot my baby in the car once. I made it to the door and realized I didn't have him. I was distracted. I felt horrible. He was sleeping peacefully when I got him. Thankfully, it was only minute or two.

It happens. If you don't think a good parent can forget, they can. I made it to baby 7 before I forgot.

Quoting Kchellejones330:

You're okaying what she did and feeling sorry for the mother who let this happen.. then saying rip to the baby. Get a grip.

Quoting Chelly4.588.8:

Busy mom of three and one on the way here and I have to say some of you mothers are unbelievable, you're calling this mom a moron and stupid but you're the ones that seem to think you have all the luck in the world and bad things will never happen to you because you're so attentive. You can check every time you get out of the car, God knows I do but that doesn't mean something/someone so important can't slip you mind once. I'm not stupid enough to believe that this could never happen to me even though I watch my kids like a hawk and have never once not looked in the back seat even when out without them I still check. I hope it never happens to anyone on this post especially those claiming they know for a fact that they would never forget their child, that's a horrible accident I wouldn't wish on anyone. Do some of you think the mother is getting the royal treatment and smiling away, I seriously doubt it, this poor woman is probably getting bashed in public, on social sites, etc treating her like she literally sat there and watched her baby die, and she's going to suffer because I'm sure in her heart and mind she remembers every bit about that baby, his smile, laugh, touch are probably embedded in her, she keeps trying to figure out how she could have forgotten; she's suffering and all you all can think about is that it would never happen to you, that she's an idiot even though she probably thought the same thing. It hurts to see that a mother forgot about her child, it hurts to know that there are mothers out there so insensitive and naive who I'm sure would hope for comfort and mental health relief from this loss but think that this woman doesn't deserve it, I think the punishment that she's already going through is a lot worse than a jail sentence could ever give. But I do have to say the question posted by a pp about the daycare calling is a very good question, most daycares/schools check on the child if they aren't there but some don't do it until the child has missed a couple days. I would like to know if they do that and why this day did they have to forget about doing it. My heart goes out to this family, RIP sweet little boy.

rednaxelaym
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM
So....you look in the back out of habit.....so what if your habit was to not have your kid in the car....and out of habit you just got out of the car?
I think it is unlikely that i would forget my child....but honestly....you never know.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)