Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

omg its already happening :( sad....forgotten baby

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM
  • 61 Replies
SUGAR LAND, TX (KTRK) -- It's a tragic accident every parent can learn from. Sugar Land police are investigating the death of a 7-month-old baby who was left in a truck all day Thursday by the father.

The truck in which that baby died has been moved inside the Sugar Land Police Department garage as the investigation continues. But it appears to be another hot weather tragedy, in which heat combined with the distractions of life can have terrible consequences.

It is a home that will never again be the same; where such a loss has happened that neighbors will not speak of it publicly out of respect for the family that lost a 7-month-old baby boy. His body was found in the backseat of his father's truck, accidentally left behind in a chain of events that started Thursday morning.

"The father dropped off two children at school and went to a conference in northwest Houston and had basically forgotten that he had a 7-month-old in the back seat," said Sugar Land Police Captain Stuart Denton.

The father arrived at this Houston hotel for the conference just after 8am Thursday. According to police, he drove home in his truck nearly seven hours later and walked into the house. Around 5pm came the phone call.

"He was conversing with his mother about where the children were and that's when he realized," said Capt. Denton.

The child was already gone; there was no reviving him. Police describe the parents as devastated.

But consider that last year, Texas led the nation in the number of children who died inside hot cars. This, too, was the case of a parent whose routine didn't include taking a child to day care.

No one knows better how that can happen than Donna Hicks, whose grandson Christian died a few years ago inside her car. She also went to work, forgetting he was in the backseat until it was too late.

"I remember watching TV when someone else had done that and saying how could a parent forget their own child in a car?" Hicks said. "You never know until it really happens to you or someone you know."

Children's Protective Services says it will be speaking with the family of the Sugar Land case to assess their situation, the safety of the other two children and perhaps provide counseling.

Tonight on Eyewitness News at 10pm, we ask that question of a woman whose grandson died in her car while she was at work. We also offer advice on how to avoid this tragedy.

The government says an average of 38 children die every year from being left alone in a car. In half of the cases, the child was simply forgotten.

Here are some safety tips for parents from KidsandCars.org:

Put something you'll need, like your cell phone,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
evanne337
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:03 PM
Summer just started
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Frosting
Kind of worried tonight. Our diabetic dog has decided to refuse her insulin shots. Not sure where the situation will go from here.... :-(
Yesterday at 10:32 PM
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh this makes me so sad.  For all of them.  The child, the father, mother, siblings....all of them.

A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM
This is the 2nd post I've read today about a baby dying in the car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Poor baby :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelloKitty86
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Disgusting that these thing happen,  Accidental or not :(

Kchellejones330
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Wrap your wrist to a string and the carseat.. that won't let you get out until you unattatch the string.. then you'll know why the hell the string is wrapped around your arm... if you're that dumb and forgetful that you birthed children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristinawithaK
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I have a similar story...

I am the oldest of 7 kids, there are 18 years between me and the youngest.  my youngest sister was born but she had to stay in the hospital for a month.  when she finally got to come home we weren't used to having a baby around.  my mom and I went grocery shopping late one night and were engaged in conversation as we were shopping.  we only had a few things to get but by the time we grabbed the last item we both looked at each other and she said "shit!  we left the baby in the car!"  oops.

ColtsFan1912
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM

That poor baby :(

heavenV
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM
:( sorry for the whole family...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SThompson21
by Evil.Minion on May. 4, 2012 at 8:11 PM

we had a mother leave her 13 month old in her car within the past couple days. :( 

apparently, she "forgot" she had the baby with her

so sad :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)