Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Prednisone Can be a HORRID Drug

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:02 AM
  • 15 Replies

The dr put my dh on it for an asthma flareup, and it made his anxiety level skyrocket thru the roof...he is suicidal and homicidal...that stuff does that to me too...i hate it!!   He was pacing the floors all nite, hallucinating, and i can't help but wonder if it helped push him over the edge to commit himself into the psych ward. 

by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beautisticaware
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:06 AM
I hate the side effects of prednisone. I knock on wood every spring, when my son makes it through without it. When he was younger it was not fun!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tifferie
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:08 AM
It tastes horrible, makes you gain weight, can make your bones brittle, yea that drug can kiss my hiney.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
princessputter
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:09 AM

thats interesting... do the docs at the mental place know.. I hear alot of people feel very different on this drug

emmy526
by Emmy on May. 5, 2012 at 8:10 AM

oh yes, they know....they are familiar with him..he's been there before

Quoting princessputter:

thats interesting... do the docs at the mental place know.. I hear alot of people feel very different on this drug

Kmary
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Ugh I'm sorry that happened to you.  How bad is his asthma and how big was his dosage?  I have moderate asthma and have had to use prednisone on a very temprorary basis (like 10 days at a time) on several occasions and the worst side effect it had on me was trouble sleeping.  I actually think it's a wonderful drug!  But like anything, different people react differently.  I do know that my doctor takes great care to give me the lowest possible dosage for  my issue and he makes me wean off of it as opposed to stopping abruptly, like 4 pills one day, 3 the next couple days, 2 the next and so on untll I'm done.   Was your dh given similar instructions?  Just curious. 

EmilyMarshall
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:20 AM
interesting

emmy526
by Emmy on May. 5, 2012 at 8:27 AM

yes he was told how to take it, but in his rage, he wouldn't listen to me, and took more than he needed...then he just abrupty stopped...his lung dr said the ER dr who prescribed it, didnt' prescribe it properly. 

Quoting Kmary:

Ugh I'm sorry that happened to you.  How bad is his asthma and how big was his dosage?  I have moderate asthma and have had to use prednisone on a very temprorary basis (like 10 days at a time) on several occasions and the worst side effect it had on me was trouble sleeping.  I actually think it's a wonderful drug!  But like anything, different people react differently.  I do know that my doctor takes great care to give me the lowest possible dosage for  my issue and he makes me wean off of it as opposed to stopping abruptly, like 4 pills one day, 3 the next couple days, 2 the next and so on untll I'm done.   Was your dh given similar instructions?  Just curious. 

chickensmommy
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:33 AM
The side effects aren't fun but it's worth it to me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MisfitInTN
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:35 AM
The side effects are awful but it helps ds get through fare UPS with his asthma
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clubpenguin
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Wow I'm on predisone. My dofotor warned me of mood swings but nothing that bad. Can I ask how high his dose was? Hope he recovers soon.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)