Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why Do People Have Garage Sales And Say..

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:53 AM
  • 31 Replies

They have a garage sale, and say it's from 9am to whenever. But then they say "No early birds!"

I can understand if you aren't going to be ready that early. But if you aren't going to be ready by 9, why not just have it at 10 or 11? Or a time you know you will all set up?

Am I missing something?

Edit: Ok, didn't realize people come out at like 5am. LOL No way would I do that. Thanks for the explanations.

by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dimples04
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Some people like to come at 8-8:30 if it starts at 9. Those are earlybirds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momdoes
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I know for me, I dont want people all up in my face asking how much for this, how much for that, while I am trying to get set up! How about you look, hold on to it and when you see me finally sit down with the cash box, then ask me how much I will take?

ILive4This
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Early birds are people who show up at 7 or 8 and want you to let them in so they get the "best" stuff.

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on May. 5, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Right..but why not have the garage sale when you know you will be ready? If you know you'll be good by 10, just start it then.

Quoting momdoes:

I know for me, I dont want people all up in my face asking how much for this, how much for that, while I am trying to get set up! How about you look, hold on to it and when you see me finally sit down with the cash box, then ask me how much I will take?

jennrn79
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:56 AM
When I've had garage sales some people will tend to come before 9 to get first choice or whatever. That's what I take "early birds" to mean, people comung before the sale actually starys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on May. 5, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Ah ok. Guess it never occured to me to go to a garage sale before it started lol.

Quoting Dimples04:

Some people like to come at 8-8:30 if it starts at 9. Those are earlybirds.

colins_mom
by Heather on May. 5, 2012 at 8:56 AM
No early birds means dont come until 9 since hard core garage salers will start at like 6 or 7
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arwyn724
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Yard sale people tour my neighborhood starting at 6:00am, regardless of when you advertise.  They are picking through stuff before you even have the tables set up.

CreziaMommyTo2
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:58 AM

because you will still have people coming at 7/8/9 asking you how much is this and that while you are setting up.... an early bird shows up before the sale starts whether you are ready or not.  

an example.. if a state sale starts at 9, there are usually people on line at 5am

Quoting carterscutie85:

Right..but why not have the garage sale when you know you will be ready? If you know you'll be good by 10, just start it then.

Quoting momdoes:

makelineerror
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM
I think "early birds" refers to people who show up at ungodly hours, like 5 and 6 am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)