Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How legal is it to shoot a stray dog in your backyard? *big update!!*

Animal Control did not catch the dog this afternoon but about 3:30 I noticed the dog standing on our front porch since our storm door was open he could smell our lab in the living room in her kennel. I tried to lure him in and capture him but he booked it just as my husband got home from work so he called Animal Control again. They sent the same guy back over him and sure enough the dog showed up within a half hour. Took Animal Control almost an hour and a half and two packs of treats but the dog is CAUGHT!! My husband is talking to the guy now but I am so excited I had to update lol We don't have to do anything else, the dog is finally off the streets! I really hope he doesn't go back to his old owners (if he had any) because he had been loose for too long and someone else who will care for him needs him.

Animal Control just called to tell me they sent a dispatcher to head into our neighborhood  to see if they can catch him. They promised to call me if he is caught and the lady said she got a few calls about him this morning. So at least I know we aren't the only ones he is bothering. We shall see if they catch him this time....

We have been calling animal control for the past 3 weeks to pick this dog up. He gets into our backyard and we have a female lab we are trying to keep away from him since she is scheduled to be fixed on Wednesday and she started her first cycle last Saturday so I know it's possible for him to knock her up.

Our lab is in the living room right now in her kennel because I've heard what male dogs will do to get to a female in heat and we are SO not having puppies.

Just a minute ago our golden started barking and I watched that stupid dog run into our backyard again. I can't tell if he has a collar or who he belongs to but I am so frustrated he is still running loose! I've left another message with animal control since they are only open from noon to 6:00 today.

My husband just wants to shoot the dog though. We have an outside dog run built for our lab to stay in while we are at work but because of this dog we haven't been putting her out there and she's getting so restless being in her kennel during the day.  Urg, I wish whoever owned this dog would take responsibility for him! Who knows if he's had his shots and my husband says it looks like he hasn't been fixed, he won't go anywhere near people and always runs off but it sucks that because he can get into OUR yard we can't put our own dogs out there.

by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
Namaste17
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Uh, I've worked in both shelters and vet offices and that is a gigantic load of bullshit. Heart shots are only used as a last resort if something goes very wrong.

Quoting Grairaven:

Make sure to scream "He's coming right for us!"  before you fire.  From my understanding, that's a valid way to kill anything running loose.  :D

LOL  Seriously though.  Just shoot the dog.  Or you can always go the humanitarian route, capture it, terrify it, send it away for evaluation in another terrifying environment, only to be blacklisted, and shot in the chest with a heart rocket.  Huzah.  Shooting the dog is so much worse.  (Aim for the face!)

P.S.  Worked in a shelter for a while.  The little 'shot' they give the animals while the family is there?  Is a tranq.  Once the family leaves the animal is taken to the back and a 'heart rocket' is administered.  Think ice pick on automatic and the same principal as a finger pricker.  It basically  destroys the heart, effectively insuring death.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gemikris82
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM

i wouldnt have the heart to shoot the dog if it wasnt harming us.  i would try to catch it and drop it off at an animal shelter

LectioDivina
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM
3 moms liked this

That's so sick....

Tooth_Inspector
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Quoting gemikris82:

i wouldnt have the heart to shoot the dog if it wasnt harming us.  i would try to catch it and drop it off at an animal shelter

I don't either :( This morning was the first time my husband mentioned it because we had put our lab out in the run yesterday while we were doing yard work and I think he smelled it because he ended up breaking into the side of it last night. We've tried to catch him quite a few times, hubby got pretty close to him this morning but he always manages to escape and he won't come anywhere near us. I found out it is legal to shoot him if he's on our property but I'm waiting to hear what Animal Control says after they open at noon. He's been here twice this morning so far but my golden has been scaring him off.

Tooth_Inspector
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Quoting LectioDivina:

That's so sick....

Shooting him is sick? What would you do?

gemikris82
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM

your dog has to come first.  keep that in mind, i just would make my boyfriend do it if it came down to it.  i wouldnt mind catching the dog, im not afraid.  but i wouldnt be able to do the shooting. i think i would him shoot the dog when i was out.

Quoting Tooth_Inspector:

Quoting gemikris82:

I don't either :( This morning was the first time my husband mentioned it because we had put our lab out in the run yesterday while we were doing yard work and I think he smelled it because he ended up breaking into the side of it last night. We've tried to catch him quite a few times, hubby got pretty close to him this morning but he always manages to escape and he won't come anywhere near us. I found out it is legal to shoot him if he's on our property but I'm waiting to hear what Animal Control says after they open at noon. He's been here twice this morning so far but my golden has been scaring him off.

mrskathleen
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry but U should have had the dog fixed before this incident.

. THIS  dog is doing a natural thing.he smells ur dog in heat and wants to get at her! end of story..

Tooth_Inspector
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Quoting mrskathleen:

. THIS  dog is doing a natural thing.he smells ur dog in heat and wants to get at her! end of story..

Did you not read the part that she has an appointment to get fixed? They wanted to wait until she hit 6 months and we made the appointment a month ago, we did not expect her to go into heat before her appointment. It's not like we are letting him get to her, she's been watched and separated. He hasn't knocked her up and we are doing everything responsibly. I shouldn't be allowed to put MY dogs in MY backyard because some other owner isn't going to contain their stupid dog? It has been 3 WEEKS he's been wandering. We've tried catching him, we've called animal control. You have got to be kidding me lol

DBKels
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Put up signs. Don't shoot a poor dog!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hautemama83
by Nichole on May. 5, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
So stupid.

Quoting mrskathleen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)