Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My sister is 29. Her mother is still recieving CS from our dad each month. Our dad will be 69 soon. To me, this seems pointless for him to still pay. I also feel if he is to pay, it should be going to my sister, not her mother. What do you think?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Replies (21-30):
stockuponlove
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Wrong wrong wrong.
I am 23 and my mom is currently getting child support for me. It is back support from when my father never paid.
I don't think it should go to me. It should go to my mom for all the years she took care of me and worked two jobs and made sure I had everything without his help. I did cheer and dance and he never coughed up a penny.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miss_lisa
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM
No way should it go to your sister. That money was meant to help your mom raise your sister, he is finally paying her back for all the expenses she incurred.

If your sister is struggling financially with her own children that is HER responsibility, not her moms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Lissette on May. 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Back child support never goes to the adult child. It goes to the parent who raised that child full time. Just because the child is now an adult doesn't change the fact that mom was the primary provider. Kwim? I worked for child support for a while.

Quoting Mrs.Worthen:

It should go to your sister IMO
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJandKarasMom
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM
It may not make sense, but he obviously didn't live up to his obligation while she was still underage. It's now a debt...he has to pay it until what he owes is paid.
sammygrl77
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Unless your sister paid her own way for the first 18 years of her life, the money should go to the mom. Your sister struggling now has nothing to do with child support arrears.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM
The money should go to your sister.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tginn20
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Um pretty sure it stops at 18 and your mom will have to pay all that back unless your dad is FREELY giving it w/out a court order.

jmgarzamom
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Look the way I see it is her mom raised her gave her everything she needed and did a good job at it. If she is struggling now then she needs to figure it out. My grandmother raised me and when I was 25 she got a letter stating she was to get back child support from my good for nothing sperm doner . She asked if I wanted it and I flat out told her no. She worked 2 jobs gave me the life I wanted sacraficed everyday for me. That money belongs to her. And now that she at the time was 80 she deserved that money no matter what. She is now 85 and sperm doner passed away last yr but all she got was a measly 100 a month for 8 months cause the first half the state collected what they were owed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Worthen
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Yeah but the purpose is to help the kid with their needs. So it should go to the kid. It's child support, not single mom support IMO

Quoting acrogodess:

Back child support never goes to the adult child. It goes to the parent who raised that child full time. Just because the child is now an adult doesn't change the fact that mom was the primary provider. Kwim? I worked for child support for a while.

Quoting Mrs.Worthen:

It should go to your sister IMO
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by Katie on May. 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

My stepson will receive child support for many years after he's 18. Because she is 35k behind and she will continue to pay till it's paid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)